Chapter One

It was a perfect Thursday afternoon in June. The sun was warm with hardly a cloud in sight. The grass was a vibrant green with dandelions scattered throughout. Small children were flying their kites in the gentle breeze while their nannies unpacked a picnic lunch. Birds chirped, and the occasional pigeon would land and start to beg for bread. Ducks were swimming in the small lake in the middle of the city, begging for bread crumbs.

“See that, Mommy?!”

Jeanna looked up from the bag of bread heels and smiled at the redheaded three year old girl. “Does Donald like the bread?”

The little girl nodded vigorously and held out her hands. “He wants more!”

Jeanna laughed and handed the last few pieces of bread to her daughter, smiling as she watched the little girl toss it down at the duck's feet. She looked down at her watch. It was 3:10 and time to make the subway trek to ballet class. Hoisting the large, black bag at her feet up onto her shoulder, she called out to the little girl. “Risa, are you ready for ballet?”

“Yep!” At the mention of ballet, the little girl seemed to forget all about her new feathered friend.

“Okay, remember what I said about holding my hand, right?” Jeanna smiled as she felt the warmth of her little hand in hers.

As they left the park and went underground, Jeanna held onto Risa tighter. If she got lost in the New York City bustle, Jeanna would never be able to forgive herself. The train had just pulled up to the platform as Jeanna and Risa stepped onto level ground. Jeanna picked Risa up and slowly jogged to make the train. Because it wasn't rush hour traffic yet, the subway wasn't too crowded and she was able to sit down.

“Can we watch Ariel tonight?” Risa asked, referring to The Little Mermaid as she climbed up to sit on Jeanna's lap on the subway. Their stop was coming up soon.

“Sure thing, Sweetheart. You know that's my favorite,” she said, pulling Risa's red hair up into a half pulled through ponytail.

When Jeanna and Risa reached the dance school, Jeanna quickly took Risa into the bathroom to change into her tights and purple leotard. She helped her slip the small white ballet flats onto her feet before stuffing her street clothes into the black bag she carried.

“Knock 'em out, Sweetheart,” she said, opening the door to Risa's classroom and walking in behind her.

“Risa-E!” Ms. Luxe called from where she stood in front of the class.

Risa giggled at her nickname. “Hi, mademoiselle,” she said, butchering the French title.

“Are you ready to shake your booty today?” the French instructor asked sweetly.

Risa nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah!”

While Ms. Luxe prepared the class of toddlers for the day's exercises, Jeanna joined the other kid's moms and nannies on the bench in the far left of the room. She watched as the little girls began their stretches before attempting pliés and pirouettes.