Chapter Eight

(The song within is “The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress”, and if you want to listen to it on youtube, the most beautiful version is done by Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny. I think it really captures the feel of this Room in the evening. Also, the intro passage is “Fields of Gold,” and you ought to listen to the Celtic Woman version of that—it is unbelievably gorgeous, and a massive inspiration for this story. )

VVVV

You’ll remember me

When the west wind moves

Upon the fields of barley

You’ll forget the sun

In his jealous sky

As we walk in fields of gold…

“Fields of Gold”-Sting

VVVVV

DAY ONE

HERMIONE

            When I opened my eyes, I was lying on my back on the soft grass of the willow room. I didn’t have to look around to sense that I was alone in here. I sat up, and ran my hand through my hair. Now it made sense why I wasn’t tired or dirty or sore or hungry, but it still felt strange. It would take some getting used to.

            The wind rustled the willow, gapping the curtain just enough to let me see flashes of gold. I got up and stepped through the branches.

            I squinted against the rich sunlight, and then my eyes widened and my mouth fell open.

            The barley field went on forever. All the way to each horizon, the waving barley reached, like the ocean. Somehow, it reminded me of the way Kansas might look in the summer. Either that, or heaven.