Chapter 24 - We never gave up

Start from the beginning

- Well, me too. But, did you call for any other reason? - I said, sounding extremely hopeful.

- No, I guess that’s the one. - He replied as I could hear people talking loud from the other side.

- Where are you, by the way? - I asked, running my hand through my messy hair.

- Oh, it’s not important. I’m with my dad at a meeting. - He informed me nervously, or so I thought.

- Ok, we’ll talk later.

- Ok. Bye, princess. - He said in his usual warm tone.

- Bye.

That was it and nothing else more. Our late night skype calls were more fun and we talked about the most varied and crazy stuff, random too, and I loved that. I wondered when he would come back.

My phone was marking 5.24pm, so I stood up and walked home, thinking of what I should wear for that «important business dinner».

*******

I looked myself in the mirror for the twentieth time that night. I kept looking, re-looking, overlooking, spinning around… I just felt so bored and I wasn’t even there already. I loved that knee peach gown dress, made out of silk, which makes it very light and easy to dance with, because it makes that little twirl when you spin.

I browsed through my phone’s gallery and stared at some photos I had taken with León. I smiled weakly at them and a little tear dared to roll down, but I quickly wiped it out because I heard my father coming from downstairs.

- Are you ready, sweetie? - My dad asked me, while I was putting my phone away.

- Yes. Let’s go.

We got out and entered the car to go to the business dinner. I was buffing all the way but, somehow, my dad didn’t notice it or said anything about it. Really strange. I looked through the window at the houses and buildings we found on our way, only to distract myself from the boring destiny ahead of me. We parked a few minutes later at Fran’s house.

- Dad, what are we doing here? - I said, sounding very confused.

- Francesca told me to come here before because she needed to talk to you. What is it? - He explained as I got even more dazzled.

- What? She didn’t mentioned any issue we had to discuss.

He brushed his shoulders and we got out of the car, walking to the front door. When my dad rang the bell, the door opened by itself, leaving me clueless. I walked into the darkness when I heard voices shouting «Surprise» and I startled at that. I looked at the bright living room and saw my friends smiling and laughing around me.

- Hey, what is this? - I asked, giggling.

- Duh, didn’t you heard the ‘surprise’ part? - Maxi joked with me.

- Of course I did! I’m wondering why? - I explained.

- Go check out the backyard. - Francesca said, with a weird glow in her eyes.

I stepped away from the crowd as I curiously walked into the garden. Music behind me started playing and I heard them talking and laughing, which made me look at them, but then I focused on what I had to see there. I looked at my left side, but there was no one to be seen. Although, I looked at my right side and I saw someone standing there, smiling.

- No way.

I ran to him, with streaming tears on my face, and then he hugged me and spun me, as we both laughed. I felt my heart bursting in joy because that moment was too good to believe. Four months of long wait had finally met their ending!