DML: Chapter Eight: Ben Takes Lee Home

Start from the beginning

The fortified structure is made of gloomy stone, with curtain walls and arrow slits. I’d first thought the field backed onto the ocean, I see the castle is built onto a natural rocky motte, cutting into the cliff face. Holy mother! The noise as the waves crash upon the structures sea face is beautiful as it is terrifying. There is a curved four-storey flat-topped Keep on the west side. On the east side there is another tower equal in size, though capped with a conical roof and metal spiral. The wooden front doors, the portcullis raised, stand four men wide and two deep, and we must cross an arched bridge over a moat of frothing seawater to reach them.

‘I was a feudal lord,’ Ben thinks at me by way of explanation for this castles presence. ‘I was made a man too young, and Daniel took me soon after this fortress became my domain.’

Holy hell, Lee. I will not claim to know much about history, or the heritage of English soil, but I’ve never heard of this place. It’s too magnificent for the history books to simply forget. Did he conquer this or something? How much do you know about feudal lords of the seventeenth century?

‘We ... drank those who once worked here and hide the castle from view.’ Again, I wait, and think. From all but those who know it’s there? That is some achievement. ‘From humans. Lycanthropes and others of my kind can see.’

I spin to him and clutch the front of his jacket in my fist. It creaks as my nails dig in. “Werewolves?” I demand breathlessly. He nods and the moonlight bounces off the side of his helmet. “Where?” He points to the left to the forest. My eyes must be like saucers.

‘Castle sits on the cusp of the boundary line. I own this land. Past that tree line the territory becomes theirs. Remember that.’ He caresses the side of my face. ’Always remember that you cannot cross that line.’

I’m naturally curious and despite Ben’s obvious distress at the mention of me stepping a toe past that boundary, I find myself compelled to see what lies in the midst of those tress. My body leans forward. A little peek? I’m human, at the moment. Surely, they will not harm me.

Oh, ah. Ben’s grip on my hand is quite painful now. ‘You smell like me.’ He strokes my neck. ‘You bear my bite. You are marked as my love.’ He takes off his helmet. His pupils contract to a splinter of black. “They would hurt you.” The whisper makes my eardrums vibrate and my heart thump.

I can’t wait to hear him speak to me without the frailty of my human ears forcing him to hold back his power.

Oh, I’ve not forgotten how you tried to control me, love. So, I’m readying myself to respond for Independent Women everywhere with a, “I will do whatever I like, you don’t own me,” speech, but the castle doors shudder open. This captures my total attention. I was a puppy my ears would be pointy and swiveling around in curiosity.

Adam and Simone step out to hold up their hands in greeting. They look a tad frazzled though; even from here I see rips in their clothing and blood spatters.

“How did they get here before us?” I ask.

Ben’s mind brushes against mine enamored with my ignorance. ’We move fast and I was in no hurry to bring you here.’ The end of that thought is grieved, and I entwine my fingers with his for comfort. ‘Honestly, love, I was going to respect your wishes, but Daniel has made it clear he will not risk me turning you. I have no choice.’

I say nothing. I understand, and I was not going to fight him on this. If I had to choose between death and Ben, I choose Ben, hands down.

Adam and Simone drift forward. They still have things to do? Nodding at us, they blur into ghostlike streaks, and are gone. I shiver staring at the empty road they disappeared down; try to see through the fog, but obviously, I see nothing.