3. Captured

Enslaved till death: Chapter 3

My bike lays there lifeless on the ground as I stare at it, I knew I should be heading home. For the first time in my life I didn't know where my future was going. Everyone around me had gone, I was all alone and that became more and more apparent as I rode the familiar stretch of road home towards my apartment. Shops had been locked up and considering everyone had gone, only a few stores had been broken into and loitered. I needed to grab some food so headed towards the grocery stores. One store had been open three days ago, however today a closed sign had been sprawled across the front door. I really needed to replenish my cardboard and this was the only place left to buy food. I was pretty familiar with this grocery store too having worked afternoon shifts during high school, and knew a side window that was easy to maneuver open. As I loosened the side window and squeezed through landing on the floor, walking briskly towards the front of the store to grab a few plastic bags from the checkout before grabbing a few essentials to survive over the next few days. When I was done I pulled out $20 and slide it under the till just in case robbers decided to empty the till out, I knew the owners would hopefully get the money for the things I'd taken.

As I slide from the open side window and maneuvered it back into place to close it, heading to my bike as I placed the two bags full of food into the front basket. I was on a home stretch about a block or so away from my apartment when a chill went down my spine. I could hear the faint sound of a SUV coming up behind me and it seemed like it was picking up speed by the sound of its engine revving up. I hope I hadn't been caught sneaking into the grocery store. The black SUV came up alongside me, the window winded down and the guy asks me to pull over. I suspect he's a cop so I stop and pull over. The guy looks like he's around 25, he begins to approach me as I lean my bike outside the door to my apartment. I don't mention the grocery store incident just in case he doesn't question me on it. He begins asking me questions like 'who are you living with?" , "are you living alone?", "why haven't you left?". I try to keep up with all his questions, "Its just myself...I'm living alone"..."Why haven't I left? ...ah this is my home, and I have no where else to go". He stares at me with a smirk, and then I wonder to myself why he's questioning me. I haven't seen him around before. He tells me he needs me to come with him, I ask where. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about and I guess I am only one of a few who are left still in the city. "OK I'll come I just need to grab my groceries first". As I walk to the SUV and reach for the rear passenger door to get in. I feel a tight hold around my arms as my hands are handcuffed behind my back. Great he thinks I stole without paying.

My bags of groceries drop to the sidewalk but he doesn't even offer to pick them up for me and instead pushes me in the back which looks like its purpose was for dogs when you travel. I'm now caged in, hands cuffed and driving off with who knows to somewhere I've never been before. I start to scream, pleading to let me go, that I didn't steal those groceries as I'd left the payment under the till for the owners when they returned. He begins to laugh when I said that. Not in a nice way either, his laugh is dark and is freaking me out. Who the hell is he? And what does he want with me? As we drive up a gravel road, I notice a large prison. He laughs as he looks through his side window towards the prison "Don't worry we got rid of the real criminals, only us left now". What did he mean by 'us left now'. As he pulls me by my arm out of the back, my tear streaked face on full display and as I look up with pure terror into his dark eyes and an evil sinister my body begins to tremble. I try to dig my feet into the gravel as he pulls me towards the iron gate. He seems proud of himself, like he's brought a prize back. I plead again "Please, don't lock me up I've never committed a crime before please".

He stops abruptly, keeping his eyes fixed on the gate

He stops abruptly, keeping his eyes fixed on the gate. "This isn't a jail for criminals. Every jail and cell in the world now houses the human race as donors". "Donors...what do you mean by that?". He turns sneering at me with impatience, "Always the same questions...blood donors for the vampires". What - the epidemic was true... now vampires rule the world and we are their donors to ensure they survive. He continues to tug at my arm pulling me closer and closer to captivity, but my best efforts to dig in my heels and grunting to pull back are no hope. I've lost the effort now to scream or plea as he drags me past the first iron gate. I walk through another five before I am pushed into a cell and my handcuffs are removed, the cell is small with a bed and a toilet behind a small privacy wall. I look around and see I am not alone, the other woman across from me look content with this situation. Maybe they've become accustomed to their new lives here.

I bundle myself into a ball on the dusty mattress and cry myself to sleep, hoping if I dream happy thoughts I'll awake tomorrow and be 14 again and stop my Mom and Dad from leaving home that day. I fall into a deep sleep, but am abruptly awoken with someone staring at me from outside my cell. I try to squeeze my eyes open to see who it is, to notice its that same damn guy that had dragged me in here in the first place. I give him a stare back, he's not going to scare me that easy.

NOTE:

Photo above is of Douglas Booth - thought he'd be amazing as 'Andrew Creswell'.

* Thanks for reading, please VOTE and leave me a comment below. What do you guys think?? Let me know below and VOTE if you're reading this!!

> Continue to read the next chapter...