Hope They Last

CHAPTER ONE

Louis Tomlinson. Breakdowns. Sensitive. Anxious. Stutter. Miserable. Lonely. Gay. Friendless.

That's my life. Everyone hates me. I'm a freak.

~

BEEP BEEP BEEP BE- I smack the alarm clock, not wanting to get up and go to school. I sigh and throw the covers to the side.

"Louis get up!" My mum screeches.

"I am!" I yell.

"Don't sass me young man!"

I roll my eyes and walk into my bathroom. I brush my teeth, take a shower, get dressed and do my hair. I walk to my nightstand and open the drawer. I pull out a rusty quarter and run my thumb over it before putting it into my pocket.

"You still carry around that thing? What's so important about a stupid quarter?" My sister is standing in the doorframe, giggling.

"S-shut up, shut u-up, shut up!" I put my hands over my ears and close my eyes tightly.

"Dude, calm down." She says, walking away. I open my eyes slowly and remove my hands from my ears. I feel a tear slip down my cheek and I wipe it away quickly. I run my thumb over the quarter, calming myself.

I found this coin when I three and having a breakdown. I had picked it up and ran my hands over it. I immediately relaxed and I have kept it ever since.

I know I'm a freak and it's weird... But it's my only way of relaxing.

I used to have a friends. They ditched me though when I told them about the quarter thing though. I've been alone ever since.

"Louis! Get to school!" My mum yells. I snap out of my thoughts and run downstairs. I give my mum a kiss on the cheek and get into my car. I drive to school and park in the parking lot. I run my thumb over the quarter in my pocket and climb out of the car. I walk into the school and towards my locker, trying not to touch or look at anybody. I spin the dial on my locker: 3, 12, 1. I open the lock and my locker. I empty the contents of my backpack into the metal area and take out my things for English. I walk alone to my class and open the door. I feel eyes on me but I don't dare look into them. I sit down in the back of the room, also alone. I pull out my quarter and roll it around in my hands. The bell rings and the door opens.

"I'm here!" His voice rings throughout the classroom and everyone laughs softly. "Hm, where to sit, where to sit... Ah!" He turns to me and walks to where I'm sitting. He sits right next to me and everyone gasps. He chuckles lightly and I feel my chest start to tighten up. He has never sat next to me. No one ever has. And this is Zayn Malik who is next to me. The tan, golden-eyed, black-haired sex god who I have every class with. I feel his eyes on me and I stare down at my hands that are holding the rusted coin, my face flushing a bit. I look at him through the corner of my eye and see that he's still looking at me.

"Louis right?" He asks, his voice glides right over the words. My heart beats quickly in my chest and I nod slowly.

"It's nice to meet you Louis, how're you liking school so far?" Zayn asks me.

I shrug.

"This is probably rude but uh, do you... Do you talk?" His cheeks turn a light pink.

I nod.

"Then, uh, why aren't you talking to me? Did I do something wrong?" He asks cutely. Yeah. I'm gay for Zayn Malik.

I shrug. I really should talk to him but I'm afraid he'll make fun of my stutter.

Zayn's POV

Why isn't he talking to me? Did I do something wrong? Louis looks down at his hands and I see a flash of something. He runs his thumb over the thing in hands and take a shaky breath.