25. Friendship Born in Fire

Start from the beginning

"Finally come to rescue us, have they?" he grumbled. "It was about time! Tell me when it's time for you to be put on the rack, witch, will you? I'll continue my nap until than."

"I'm afraid I have to disappoint you," she told him sweetly. "The Margrave hasn't come to rescue you. It wasn't he who freed your soldiers. It was me."

That woke Sir Blasius up.

"What?"

"It's really simple. I freed your men. I unlocked their chains, and my steward is showing them their way outside right now."

Blasius stared at her, blinking like a sleepy goldfish. For once, he was lost for words. Ayla might have enjoyed the sight, if her business hadn't been so urgent. She knew that outside, the flames were growing rapidly. She had to get out there. But she had to what she was here for first, or the help she had just gained might turn around and attack her.

She felt Sir Gregor's eyes on her, and turned to him.

"Perhaps," the knight said, watching her face very closely, "calling them 'our soldiers' isn't quite the correct term anymore." There was understanding and admiration in his gentle eyes. And if Ayla wasn't mistaken, a slight smile played around his lips.

"Perhaps," she allowed.

"Congratulations, Milady. You are a skilled tactician."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Blasius demanded. "Gregor, what are you babbling about?"

"They aren't our men any longer," Sir Gregor sighed, "because they are hers now."

"Hers? What... how... why...?"

"I'd like to know that, too." Taking the sleeping child off his lap, Gregor carefully placed it on a blanket on the floor, and leaned forward. "I can't imagine that our men are too happy with the Margrave right now, considering the trap they walked into, when they were promised easy victory. But still... I thought it would take you at least another two weeks to pull them over to your side." His eyes narrowed infinitesimally. "What happened?"

"Nothing much," Ayla shrugged. "Just your lord and master starting to bombard the castle with flaming projectiles, trying to fry us all alive. Your men are forming a bucket chain as we speak, trying to put out the flames."

"Ha!" Sitting up, Blasius barked a laugh. "You've made a big mistake, witch! As soon as the flames are out, they'll come running and will get us out of the dungeon. My soldiers will die to a man before they leave their beloved lord in chains!"

Ayla and Gregor exchanged a look.

"Does he really believe that?" Ayla enquired, curious.

"Sadly, yes."

"Well... I think I know pretty much what to expect from his soldiers. But yours—yours are another matter."

Immediately, Gregor's expression turned guarded. He hid it well, but Ayla saw it. She also saw the battle raging inside the knight. He wasn't far from the edge.

"Just you wait!" Sir Blasius shouted, rising to his feet. "My men would never desert their brave master! They'll be here in a few minutes! Then you will feel the wroth of Sir Blasius von Balderingen!"

Ignoring him, Ayla stepped closer towards Sir Gregor, who was still sitting on the floor, looking up at her, his face tense. She extended her hand.

"The men follow me for now—but I'm sure they would like their old commanders back. Well..." She through a look at Blasius. "One of them, anyway." Her eyes returned to Gregor.