Chapter 5 - Undeniable

Start from the beginning

"You frightened me!" you cried, frowning but unable to hold it when he was smiling so excitably like that with a puppy like look in hazel eyes, shining, the same colour as the leaves that still just about clung to the trees.

"I saw someone selling something that might just go nicely in your diary." Jacob announced with a witty tone, confident in what he had bought. "Close your eyes." he whispered with that gentle voice, sounding something similar to the wind that blew softly through the trees.

You did as commanded, feeling the autumnal breeze skim the curves of your face, blowing back your (hair colour) hair from your shoulders as you mentally prepared yourself for whatever it could be.

Without a word, something pressed softly into your hand, and upon opening one eye just a crack, you could see Jacob had placed a small, pressed flower into the centre of your palm. You stared at it for a moment, over how pretty and delicate it looked, smiling as your gaze ended up back with Jacob's.

"Oh Jacob, this is really sweet and thoughtful." you confessed, warmed and lighted by his generosity and the kindness of his deed, "You shouldn't of felt you had to."

"I didn't." he replied quickly, an easy going look on his face, "I wanted to... just as a little something to remind you of little old London." he chuckled smartly, before holding his arm out. "I believe there is a carriage waiting for us somewhere, m'lady."

Giggling, you too up the offer of being escorted on his arm once again- really happy with the fact it didn't at all feel uncomfortable. It just felt... Natural. Yet at the same time- it was magical.

-------

One comfortable carriage ride later and you were back at the front door of Uncle Aleck's shop, your heart sinking upon sight of the red clay brickwork, knowing your day with Jacob was over.

For the final time that evening, the assassin assisted you politely out of the carriage, and walked you up the stone path to the steps of the house.

"Thank you again for today Jacob... I hope maybe we can do something like it again in the future." you said softly, looking into his eyes with intent and smiling to show your gratitude.

"Well there's plenty more of this city to see so you're never short of excuses..." he added with a wry laugh, awkwardly rubbing his hand over the back of his neck as you secretly smiled at his shyness which was levelling a bit with your own- it wasn't like the cocky Jacob Frye to be so timid.

"I'll be seeing you again soon then." you closed, exhaling with the simple fact you wanted to at least kiss him on the cheek- but your own intense feelings of attraction towards him wouldn't let you. If he had been some other man you weren't all too bothered about you would've easily kissed his cheek- but you couldn't. It was indeed the hopeless feeling of brewing, kindling love that prevented you from connecting your lips to his cheek in a short goodbye gesture- you're worried it would all become too much, or you would somehow mess it up and he would never speak to you again.

Rather regrettably, you made your way back into the hallway, closing the door softly behind you as you did, slumping there for a moment as a sigh left your body.

When it had only been a minute or so since you'd closed to the door your mind still ran over and over what you'd just decided to turn and the regret kept on filling in like water filling up a bathtub.

You wished you'd kissed him.

--------

As the sun has descended into the horizon, the milky white moon soon ascended into it's place in the blueish black night sky, the occasional cluster of faded white clouds blustering over as the cold winds blew.