chapter 2: the talking pictures

She found the shouting of
Her thoughts to be a raucous
Reminder of bygone days of innocence

And the hardened knuckles of
Her mind to be creators
Of their own mangled moments

The screaming tapestries
Hanging alongside
The ever raw relics of childhood

She looked at her book of life with immense joy. She had seen it a millions times before but it never bored her enchanting heart. That was the thing about her. She could see the beauty in the things she saw everyday. The same was with people. She took immense joy in finding beauty within them. No matter how bad one hurt her, she still embraced them as their friend. That's what people found unusual about her. They took advantage of her fondness for them. Yet she never cared about that. She felt her duty in this world was to serve other beautiful souls endlessly and make their lives beautiful. She was simply the angels of angels, but it took people like her to notice that.

Her hands touched the cover of the book. The feeling of warmth radiated within her. She sighed. Then she smiled. She opened the book. The pages were all rusted over the years. The book was 6 decades old but looked younger than that. She saw the first ever words that were written on the book. The ink that embodied the words into the book had run dry, gone soulless giving the font a pale colour. Yet her touch gave back the text it's lost soul. She had got it for her birthday. Her 10th one. Every since then she had been collecting the small evidences her memories had left. She brought her memories into the book with words, letters, pictures, bits, and even broken stuff.

Her hands ran through the first words ever written, but those words were not written by her. They were written by her momo and papa. It read: use this book to give life to your memories. Love, your momo and papa. That's where the book started. In those simple words of affection. She flipped to the next page; the book making a small sound. There were several picture filling the page. All of them were pictures of her with her momo and papa. Seeing those pictures brought her back to many wonderful memories. Tears bundled up within her eyes.

From the times she could recall, her parents were always there for her. The first picture was her holding a small trophy, and her momo and papa hugging her. "Aah" she said out loud as she let out a smile. Good old memories she thought. Her momo and papa helped her days and nights to get that. She got that one for her passion of dancing. Her mother mastered in that too. She would teach her simple elegant step and the young girl would learn them with ease. She didn't just dance with her legs. She danced with her soul. She would think of dancing in the rain and would bring it within her. Her father would act as the critic. He would get mesmerized and enchanted in seeing his daughter dancing, that when she ended the dance his soul would thirst for more. Sometimes he would even forget thathe was supposed to be a critic. The both of tbem cheered her up and encouraged her to never give up and eventually led her to her first success out of the handful many others she achieved. That's what she valued about the picture.

She had a collection of trophies just like this one. A small but valuable one. But her first trophy would be the most valuable one. but more than the trophy she valued the time she spent with them and the memories she made with her momo and papa.
The collection would have probably got 100 times bigger if she would have got a trophy for every single time she did a noble cause. She was surely a winner in the competition of life. She defined how to live. She accepted people no matter how harsh they were to her. Yet it took noble souls like her to see how beautiful she really was, but finding people like her was never so easy. We live in a would filled with people who judge others by their appearance and not by who they really are. April really wouldn't have been the most beautiful person any one would have met, but she was truly the most beautiful person on the inside.

Her fragile and wrinkled index finger slowly moved on to the next picture. She smiled even more when she looked at that picture. Her papa and her were standing next to each other with tiny chef hats on the top of their heads. Behind them was a splattered cake, although the cake didn't look like one. The young girl was biting her lip in embarrassment on how her big chef plans for the day had just gone waste. As for her dad, he was grinning wildly, even though he was the one who caused the disaster. The old woman bit her lips and giggled in amusement of what the picture reminded of her. The door ourside suddenly opened. The nurse came back in. "What are you laughing at Mrs.april" she asked forcing her thick blond hair into her rubber band. She walked towards a counter which had many unopened syringes in it. Carefully selecting one she injected a small fluid into it. " this soon?" Said the old lady as pouted she pouted like a spoilt child. " it's not really for now" said the nurse as she winked at the old lady. "So.... what were you laughing about" asked the nurse. "Nothing. Just a strong memory" said the old lady shrugging. "I bet its the banana incident which you would have told me a million times" guessed the nurse. The old lady smirked. " well I bet I wouldn't have told you this story at least once" she said. " well then what are you waiting for.... Tell me about it." Said the nurse. " it was my mom's birthday. Papa and I decided to bake a cake for her. Papa is a terrible cook and unfortunatelyly I was not aware of that. It started well in the beginning until papa did a terrible mistake. The gods of food were not in our favour that day. Instead of pouring super, papa poured salt on the cake. He over heated it too. It was all stiffened and when we cut it open we found a dead cockroach in eat." Said the old angel. "Ewwwwww" shouted the nurse. The old lady smiled and continued, " I assured mom that we would make something delicious for her and when she came down and saw the mess we made, she couldn't resist her laughter. She hugged us both and said that we were the best ever gift to her and that cleaning up the cake wouldn't be much of a thing. She insisted that me and papa should take a picture as cooks. Papa didn't mind and smiled without caring about the cream and flour that filled his face." " aww!" The nurse said. " you must have had amazing parents." Said the nurse. "Yes" said the lady as she put on a smile that didn't stay long. seeing her smile fade, the nurses faded too. "I will be back in a jiffy" said the nurse as she rushed out of the room. April sighed. She looked at the next picture. It was her riding her bicycle without the trainee wheels. The other picture was of her trying to put a ponytail on her papas small silky hair. There were many more of them she had actually seen. She decided to venture on the ones she rarely noticed. There was a picture of her momo and her playing tag. There was another were all three of them were dressed up as disney characters for a disney book festival. Her papa was captain hook. Very opposite for his character. Her momo was Peter pan and little April was tinker bell. They had gone to the book festival dressed up like that. The book festival was one of the most unforgettable incidents in her life. The place was what brought out the poet inside of her.
She mastered in writing too. The beautiful thoughts of her soul played wonders when they were written down in the form of words. She looked at the last picture she had stuck on her book of life. The last picture she took with Momo and papa. The last. After that she never saw them. they were not dead. It was just the fact that she never saw them. A year rolled down from her yes. Her eyes began to turn red. Her sight began to blur. it seemed.like her nerves were about to blast. She hit the small red button next to her, which set of an alarm. Her nurse came rushing in. " how many times have I told you not to get emotional" she said. "This is dangerous" she shouted as she snatched the book from the old womans hand and threw it to a corner. " am I going to die?" asked the woman as her eyesight and senses slowly faded away. The nurse didn't reply. She was just reciting a small prayer within as she went to close the windows. It was raining heavily outside. The wind blew rapidly moving the Windows from side to side. The winds didn't want April to die. The clouds let down heavy tears down as a sign of them not wanting April to die. They caused a heavy thunder as a sign to show their prayer for her. The wind wanted to comfort her but was prevented by the nurse as she went to close them. "Leave the Windows open and let the wind in" whispered April as she slowly opened her eyes. "Huh?" Said the nurse as she turned back and rushed to the old lady."Windows open please"said the old woman as she smiled. The nurse's eyes filled with tears. She had never seen anyone so interesting and encouraging in her whole life. The old lady treated her like her own daughter. Even her mother didn't treat her that way. She swallowed her tears and woke up her numb senses to go get the syringe. She rushed back immediately. Have hope old lady. You can't die yet. You don't deserve to die like this she thought as she injected the syringe over the old lady's rough wrinkled skin. setting within the last hope of saving the angels thread of life, the nurse sat down and cried. As for the winds and rains; they kept outpouring as a sign of their mourning.