Version 4

Michael

(40 years ago)

            “Banished forever!” the king yells through the judgement hall.

When you’re an Enmortal like me, forever...is well, forever.

Why am I being banished, you may ask. Well, I did the worst thing an Enmortal could do; I betrayed the royal family and then tried to kill their son afterwards.

            “Why did you do it?” the kings asks.

            “Because the boy – Haden – saw me talking to a wraith. He said if I didn’t turn myself in, he would. So I tried to kill him. But seeing as he’s a smart boy, he surrounded himself with guards. That, my king, is why I’m standing before you,” I answered honestly.

            “My decision is final. Leave and never return,” the king proclaimed loudly.

            “Father,” the young boy next to the king says. “May I please talk to the prisoner privately for a moment?”

            “Fine,” the king sighs. “But make it quick. I want him out of Persephone as soon as possible.”

The boy walks over to me, stopping just as he stands directly next to me, facing the complete other direction. “Run now,” Haden commands softly.

            “Thank you so much Haden! I will never forget this,” I murmur back.

Running down the way Haden pointed out, I launched myself into the portal.

That kid just saved my life. If I ever see him again, I will have to repay him.

(39 years later)

            “Yo Dixon!” I shout across the field.

            “Hey,” he says back.

            “What’s wrong dude?” I ask, as I approach him.

            “Well...for starters, there’s this new guy flirting with my girl and she’s flirting back,” he mutters sadly.

            “Well then,” I murmur, smiling at him. “I’ll take care of him no problem!”

So at football tryouts, I kneed him in the face.

            “And,” I snarled. “Stay away from Skylar!”