Chapter 7

As soon as possible. Sometimes I hate myself for saying it. I have written like three different drafts but then I realise they all sound bad and I start again and then I realise that I need to do my assignments. Gotta love those maths assignments! –Laughs just a little crazily- I swear to god…

Look, I’ll shut up now and let you read.

“Guys, guys! Did you… did you not just see that happen?” I sit down with a very audible thud as the others shake their heads. “It was…! Oh never mind, you look terrible.” I manage as I get a better look at them. They looked how I felt. “How are you all?” I say a little quieter. Sophia sat beside Jacob who had his arm wrapped around her shoulders. Her eyes had massive black bags under them and Jacob didn’t look any better. Katie sat next to him and next to her was David.

“Are you guys just going to sit there and be depressed or are you going to actually tell me what's happening with you four? I did ask you all a question.” I ask again as I sit up. Sophia looks over her shoulder before looking at me again, “I don’t know. I feel really weird. It feels like my whole head has been rewired or something. I can’t explain the feeling but I haven’t gotten any sleep since…” she trails off.

“Since she stopped breathing and you saved her life Ophelia.” Katie says with a serious tone, “You saved her life.” I feel myself turn warm and then glow. “I didn’t really save her life. It was just CPR.” I say and look down at my lap. Someone nudges my foot and I look up to see David grinning. “Oh don’t be so modest Ophelia. You're never this bashful.” I grin and pick up my fork. “Maybe this time I’ll be bashful.”

With a bit of conversation the others manage to come out of their shells and talk because listening to me talk and laugh and rant and so on was starting to drive them up the wall. I find out that the four of them had gone back to the girl’s dorm room and talked because none of them even wanted to contemplate sleeping. I look at them, Sophia and Jacob were sitting mighty close and he still had his arm around her shoulders and Katie and David bumping knees and shoulders and I can’t help it. I feel lonely.

Aelita watched Ophelia’s group stand and walk out of the cafeteria. Out of the corner of her eye she could see the others watching them leave as well. They all knew they knew at least something about XANA or Lyoko. They just didn’t know what though. “I don’t trust them.” Jeremy says lowly from beside her and they all turn to him. “They came down into the supercomputer room and said they knew about XANA. That definitely screams that they knew something, even if it is only the location of the supercomputer and everything is just talk.” Across the table Ulrich and Yumi nod. Odd tilts his head and Aelita and William shake their heads. Jeremy looks at William and then at Aelita. “Why are you shaking your heads?”

Aelita turns to him, “Because one of them is my roommate. She doesn’t seem that bad; the only thing she does in a relatively sinister way is sleep and listen to her music.” William nods in agreement, “She’s nice. I spoke to her earlier. She doesn’t seem to have a bad bone in her entire body.” (Well she didn’t tell him to eff off after he gave her a blood nose.) “Yeah, okay. But what about the other kids with her? She seems like their leader and they always follow her. They're the new kids but why would all five of them and their families move here from Australia?”

“That’s what I was thinking. I don’t trust them. Like what about that shirt the leader- Ophelia was wearing? I have a feeling they know a lot more than what they’re letting on.”Ulrich says and Yumi joins in, “Don’t forget about the lunchroom fight. They actually fought against XANA. The girl with the green hair broke the window for us and they told us to leave. I'm just saying this but my ‘don’t-trust-them’ radar is going insane. What do you think Odd?”