"The flower had to die," Is all he said.

I pushed off the door and took many threatening steps forward. "The Rose isn't dead, Shadow," I whispered calmly. "What I want to know is why do something like that?"

He was silent for a moment, then, "Things have never changed. They won't now."

"Every day a change is made!" I yelled in laughter, shaking my head and taking a deep breath.

"But it won't change," he said with true coldness.

"Yes" - flashing in front of him - "it will. Nothing stays the same."

The tension was so thick between us it could have been cut by a knife.

"Why is it so hard to change for you even if it's a little?"

"Right. Like how you want me to change too."

"I don't want you to change!"

"Even then, we will never be true mates!"

I stared straight at him. The shadows surrounding him quivered, but even in the shadows I could see how big his figure was.

I felt that sting, though. Felt it bad. My heart clenched painfully, and it was all I could do not to throw something at him. But even with that hurt, I could feel all the anger I'd been feeling these past few days come to life. Anger at myself. Only myself.

I stayed calm and said, "You're right. We'll never be any ordinary mated couple. That won't stop me, though. Have a good day, Shadow."

The outside afternoon sun hung in the sky as I stood on his balcony. I jump and easily land on the roof. I climbed all the way to the top of the mansion and moved to the edge of the roof where I sat down and leaned back on my hands.

In the open air this high was refreshing. Sun shinning on my face, and a view to look at is one of many things that I love.

I laugh out loud like a maniac. "Hell, maybe I am a maniac," I thought aloud amusingly. "What do you think, Ray?"

He flapped his wings to slow his landing and dropped beside me. To my question he shook his head.

"Thanks," I said. A growling startled me so much that I almost fell off the damn roof. "Guess that means I have to eat."

He blinked his brown eyes. Another growling sound came from him. I rose an eyebrow in question. He moved his shoulders up and down like a shrug but didn't look quite right for normal people.

"Then again," I thought aloud again. "We're not just any normal people."

And I pushed myself off the edge and went down, down, down. And we were off, him on my arm, to the kitchen. As soon as we passed through the doors every woman froze and watched as a maniac lady - me - and a big ass bird - Ray - walked to the fridge, dug out all the things needed for the tastiest sandwich, made two, and watched with open mouths as we both ate them.

"Have a good day ladies!" I took us out of there to the front yard and sat on the ground. "If you have any questions you can come out."

The children came rushing out and bowed deeply to me. I smile at their show of respect, but that wasn't necessary.

"Stop with all that funny business," I chided playfully.

"O-okay!"

I leaned forward with great interest, like a child awed by their favorite toy, as I studied them closely. "Why aren't any of you smiling or laughing or playing?" I wanted to know.