Chapter 2

The land of Gardania was a rich land, full of history and promise. The kingdom was simple, but profitable, flourishing under the reign of King Florian and Queen Camellia. Their subjects were loyal and grateful to the King and Queen, who were fair and generous rulers. However, the King and Queen were not entirely happy in their peaceful kingdom. Though they had been married many, many years, they were never blessed with children as they had wished to be. Camellia was especially troubled by this, seeking every aid she could find to help give her a child. Eventually, she sent messengers far and wide throughout the country, searching for someone who may be able to help in any way. After months of waiting, the messengers slowly returned, each bearing the sad news that no one in the kingdom could help the Queen. Camellia's sadness overcame her. She withdrew herself and remained in her bedchamber day and night. "I shall never have a child, and my heart has been broken," she told her husband.

One day, weeks later, a messenger came to the castle and asked to speak to the Queen. Camellia had thought every messenger had returned, and upon hearing that one more remained, she began to feel a glimmer of hope. "Show him in immediately!" she cried to the servant, who quickly ushered in the messenger. The man came in and bowed low to Camellia. "Speak, my good Sir," she implored him.

"My Queen," he said, "I have traveled to the far edges of the Gardanian borders, through the forests and over the Emerald Mountain, and I bring news of a witch who may be able to help you."

"Yes? Tell me what she speaks of, please!" The Queen earnestly asked the man.

"Your Highness," he continued, "the witch, she has come back with me. She wishes to speak with you, but does not say definitively that she will help you." The man looked troubled to be bringing anything but positive news to the Queen.

"Very well," the Queen replied, "I will do whatever I can to convince this woman to help me. Please, tell her she may come directly to the castle."

The messenger bowed once more and hurried out of the chambers. The Queen dressed and went to the garden, where she anxiously awaited the arrival of the witch. She wondered how she may persuade this witch to help her, because she desired a child so dearly.

A few hours later, a servant came quickly into the garden, searching for the Queen to announce the arrival of the witch. In earnest, the Queen hurried into the drawing room where the woman was brought. Camellia entered and saw a small woman gazing out the window, silvery white hair draped down her back almost to the floor.

"Good day," the Queen said as she entered the room. "I do hope you have not been waiting long." The woman turned around and the Queen was quite astonished. She appeared quite young, this witch, despite her hair being as white as snow. Her face was round and kind, with smiling pale blue eyes and lovely fair skin. She had not quite the look of beauty, but her face was such that one might be hypnotized by looking into it. Camellia felt she could look upon this woman and believe anything she might say.

"No, indeed, Your Highness," the woman replied softly, and bowed her graceful head to the Queen. "Your messenger spoke of your problem, and I do believe I may be able to help."

Camellia's heart leapt within her. "Do you?" she asked.

"Indeed."

"May I ask your name?" the Queen inquired.

"Of course, my name is Lueur."

"Pray, Lueur, what is it I must do to have a child? There is nothing I desire more," Camellia said.

"I see," said Lueur, "Nothing more." She looked at the queen, her eyes searching Camellia's. "I will ask only one question, and your answer will determine whether I shall give you the help you desire or not. Is this agreeable to you, Highness?"