Chapter One

Hey! So this is my first story on this site and I am really excited to finally get the courage to write! The story is based on real life events but there is going to be a lot added to it to make it more interesting and appealing to readers. ENJOY!!!

______________________________________________________________________________

“CARTER, YOU HAVE MAIL. COME AND GET IT!!!" screamed one of the workers where I was currently living. She really knows how to get under people's skin, especially mine.

I ran downstairs and snatched it from her hands. As i turned around to head back to my room, I caught her glaring at me. I bite my tongue as I head back to my room so that I don’t say anything that’ll get me in more shit then I already am in. I hate her.

I don’t recognize the return address. Once I opened it, I pulled out a letter with very neat hand writing on it.

            Dear Carter,

You probably have no idea who sent you this, and you shouldn’t. Going through a box of papers that was our daughters, we found a picture of a baby girl and on the back was written ‘my little angel Carter’. We looked into it and we found out that our daughter had a baby girl named Carter Jackson. So I guess this letter is from your grandparents. My name is Eleanor Goulding, and my husband is Jeffery Goulding. We are your mother’s parents. I know this is out of the blue and you have no idea who we are, but we would really like if you came and lived with us. We completely understand if you say no, but please think about it. The staff has our number. Please feel free to use it anytime.

            Love

        Eleanor and Jeffery Goulding

Holy shit, I have family. I know that this is probably a bad first thought considering these people can be complete weirdoes, but it’s been so long since I have someone to call my family.

I guess I should explain a little about myself. My name is Carter Jackson. I am currently 17 years old. I don’t have any parents so I live in a group home or foster home when somebody feels like a challenge, but it always ends up with me being thrown out. My mom Allison Jackson died when I was a baby. I don’t remember anything about her. People tell me she died from an overdose. Thanks mom. My dad’s name is Ray Jackson. I don’t know too much about him except that he gave me up when I was 2 because he didn’t want to deal with me. I have dark brown hair that reaches my mid-back. It’s curly and really annoying so I tend to wear it up in a bun a lot. I have glasses, but choose to wear contacts so that I can play hockey, which is my passion. I guess that’s pretty much it for me other then I’m going to be starting my grade 12 year in my 5th high school.

After I calmed down from reading the letter, I went to the staff’s office and phone these so call ‘grandparents’ of mine. As soon as I reached the door to the office, the main staff looked up, smiled at me and said

“Carter, I’ve been expecting you.”

After a good 2 hours on the phone with my grandparents, yes I am positive they are what they say they are, I found out so much about my mom. She was 19 when she died. She died of a drug overdose. They never got a chance to say goodbye because she stopped talking to them 4 years before when she ran away with my dad at the age of 13.

Towards the end of the conversation, they brought up me living with them, and without hesitation, I agreed. They were so happy and said whenever I want them to come pick me up they will be right there. I was thrilled, partly because I was getting out of this shithole, but mostly because I’m going to have people that love me around.

I went to bed that night crying because I never thought I’d ever get out of here. This was the last place they had for me to live. I got kicked out of every foster and group home they put me in. They always gave up on me, but I was used to it. Everybody sooner or later realizes how much work I am and can’t take it anymore. I was always either to problematic or too much to handle, so I just got shipped off to the next place lined up for me. I never unpacked because I knew I wouldn’t be there to long. I just hoped that my grandparents won’t do the same.