I needed to prove to him that I was his ally. Never would I ever betray him.

          "Get up." The prince muttered. I did so, meeting his gaze only once I stood completely upright. He approached me, causing me to tense, however I stayed put. It was hard to feel trust towards him at this moment. I didn't want to be held against a tree anymore.

          The suspicion never left the prince's eyes. His eyebrows were pulled down slightly as he evaluated me. He circled me, judging me thoroughly. I suppose he was debating whether or not I was telling the truth. The prince stopped once he stood directly in front of me. His gaze had softened a little.

          "You can't answer all of my questions?" He asked suddenly. I shook my head.

          "No, my prince. But I will try to answer as many as I can."

          Why was I saying no? I should be saying yes! What's holding me back?

          "Come, let's talk," he placed his hand on my shoulder and led me over to the river bank. We sat down side by side on the rocky shore. He angled himself so he was slightly facing me, however he wasn't directly in my face. I appreciated that.

          And so... we talked.

          He asked me how I had known where to find him. I merely said that I had followed the horse's trail, and some accurate instincts. I was glad for the darkness. He couldn't see my shamed expression. I couldn't even fathom why I was creating these lies. 

          Never had anyone else been told of my curse, and I didn't know how to reveal it to someone, least of all the prince. I just couldn't bring the words to my lips, 'I am your black mare.' If he rejected me and refused my help, he could be putting his life in danger. This forest could have dangerous animals in it. He needed protection.

          Yes... that's a good reason.

          And then he inquired about my choice of the black mare for him. A faint smile reached my lips.

          "She needed to be free." I whispered.

          "And how would you know that?" His tone held a hint of disbelief. "You could say that about any of the other horses. They're were hundreds it seemed! Why her?" My heart twisted itself in knots as I picked out the slight bitterness of his words.

          "She got you out didn't she? Does it really matter? You're both free and that's what matters." I snapped back. Instantly I regretted it. No one should speak back against their prince, especially if they are trying to prove their loyalty.

          "I apologize my prince. I spoke harshly-" He cut me off.

          "Don't apologize. It's not necessary." SIghing, he leaned back and continued to examine me. Taking advantage of the silence, I stole another peek at the moon.

          "Why do you do that?" 

          "Do what?" I hoped he wouldn't ask about my fascination with the moon...

          "Why do you keep looking up at the moon?" He sounded genuinely puzzled. "You seem... anxious about something."

          Yes, I only have a certain amount of time left before I turn back into the black mare, which means that you will know that a lot of what I have been telling you was a lie.

          "Oh, I just like it that's all. I've always loved the moon."

          The only time I can be a human... When the moon reaches it's highest peak.