Chapter 16

There are some people in this world who will do anything it takes to get what they want. They will lie, cheat, steal, piss, moan, and scream until someone gives in and let's them have whatever it is they desire. There are many people that stick to this way of life for their entirety but I believe there are only a few times when someone is truly deserving of such behavior. At ages twenty and older, this behavior in a man is often resolved with incarceration or severe bodily trauma from a blunt object. A man steals and he has to pay for it. A grown man throws a fit in a shopping mall, they haul his ass off and put him in his place.

From the ages of ten to twenty, a person can be forgiven in most cases of acting out or petty theft. We convince ourselves that they simply don't know any better and maybe it's our fault that they did wrong in the first place.

Ages ten and under, no one even bats an eye at the mistakes made. The same can be said for some of the so called elders still roaming the grass. The point is, there are certain ages at which a person can act in a manner that does nothing but demean and hurt anyone on the receiving end of things and be forgiven. There are certain ages at which you cannot. That's why I'm sure you can understand that at the sight of Mina's velvet enshrined eyes, her color matched lips making shapes reserved for screeching, and her gloved hands fluttering like dying ravens in front of my face, I had no choice but to stop everything and bring peace back into my home.

Calvin later informed me that he had called Mina before his death and given her the address and told her that she should help him clean up for a party in my house that no one invited me to. He told her he would supply her with an endless stream of drugs and would even let her bring the music if she was willing to help clean. The word help, I imagine, was used liberally without much intent on Calvin's part to do anything but watch as Mina strutted around in a haze attempting to clean a house that refused to be tidied. Truth be told, I wouldn't have minded the view myself but things don't always turn out the way they should. Mostly they don't even turn out the way they could but we all make choices and sometimes those choices result in hammering something into our brains that we wouldn't normally want to do. In Mina's case it was an actual nail being hammered in by my hand as my eyes looked on in horror.

Keep in mind, I don't remember putting anything through Mina's third eye but Calvin told me that's what happened. With him being a self-proclaimed master of all things pineal related, I was hard pressed to argue. The fact that Mina stood ghostlike in the corner while her body postured poorly on the floor helped ease the reality into the situation.

Calvin told me that I had grabbed the hammer and nails that he had left on the windowsill when he was trying to open the windows. He said that my left hand grabbed the hammer and nails as my right stretched out for the door. He said I stood in the threshold a few minutes as the barrage of bad language hammered against me. He explained that the hammer slipped from one hand to the other and in seconds a nail had slipped into Mina. I really don't remember but that's how he tells it.

I do remember my grandfather telling me some limerick about thorns and a woman scorned but I have a feeling he didn't know the half of it. A fiery woman can bring heat into any situation but a woman conjuring fire can set the world ablaze. A bumper sticker idea for anyone finding themselves in a similar situation to the one I had unintelligibly found myself in.

Mina had quickly harnessed the rage of any woman taken from the world in her prime and she was hell set on making me pay for all of them. Maybe it was from all the weird occult books she read or the crazy combination of sounds she cited as music but something gave her an ability that Calvin did not possess.

The floor around her was the first to ignite and it soon spread to the walls and the room filled with smoke. I saw Calvin disappear into the cloud and wondered how soon it would be before I learned to do the same. The room glowed a violent violet and Mina walked across the room; bits of fire reigned from her with every step. I felt a pressure in my chest like something was boiling and found her hand burning a brand over my heart. She leaned in close and kissed a spot just above my left nipple. A small burp of flame puffed from her lips and she covered her mouth shyly. Taking a moment to admire her work, she brought her face back up to mine; her lips were inches away, and even though her last kiss was still burning through to my insides, I still wanted to kiss her. I never got my chance to make my move. A powerful gust of wind filled the room. The front door blew open and the door leading to the dimly lit lamp room came careening off the hinges and shattered on the wall where the stairs used to be. Mina was sucked into a swirling ball of fire that closed in on itself until there was nothing but a single ash drifting across the dark floor.

After the wind settled, the room fell into it's usual state of statuesque silence. The small carcass of a cat curled it's way into the room and licked up the still smoldering ash that used to be my next door neighbor. I felt my pockets for a cigarette and walked outside.

However hard this all must be to take in, I hope you haven't decided to drop me off yet. I think this could be a really special ride and we still have a pretty far way to go. Throw reason out the window. Or is it caution? I know you're supposed to get rid of one of them. I guess you never really think about it after you're so far gone.

That's all I could think about. Mina was gone. It was my fault. It was my fault because I had killed her. I had killed somebody. That somebody was Mina.

She had turned into an all powerful poltergeist and tried to set my heart on fire. Any other time and I would have begged to have her light my fire but recent experiences had taught me not to think too hard about the doors.

After a slow burned cigarette, I stomped out the ashes and went back inside the should be burned house. Calvin hadn't shown back up and I was alone once again. The cat had disappeared or left or gone wherever mysterious undead cats go and the door was still shattered on the wall.

The room seemed rather well lit for the time of day and I swear the glow from the lamp was seeping across the walls; almost crawling like it was alive. It was a wild sight and Aldous Huxley would have embraced every moment of it. I am not Aldous Huxley. My perception of the events was much less welcome as I had had enough mind blowing experiences to last me.

The warm glow continued to spread throughout the room, growing closer to me every second, until it surrounded me and inched it's way towards my shoes. Expecting the worst, I shut my eyes, clinched my asshole, and went into a standing fetal position to fend off the ghost light.

As you can imagine, it didn't work. But it didn't have to. Nothing happened. The light surrounded me and the entire room was brightened by a warm red light. It was quite nice.

I scanned the room looking for a doll moving on it's own or a crusty rocking horse creaking away in the corner or a masked man with a machete jumping out at me at the quietest moment in human history but there was nothing there. Just me, a broken door, the still uncovered but still dirty windows, and the threshold leading to the lamp. With nowhere else to go, I walked into the room and heard the door shut behind me.