Chapter 4: An Unusual M.O.

There was a moment of silence. Then, Mrs. Crane exploded, her unexpectedly strong voice carrying across the empty corridors of the North Wing of the Seidel Memorial Hospital.

"The murderous son of a bitch!"

Scully shook her head, "If you are referring to Dr. Walsh, he was not the one who injected Tony with cocaine. His story checks out with the medical records and the test results. He only administered anesthesia."

"What are you saying?"

"The cocaine was in Tony's system hours before you and Tony came to Dr. Walsh' office," said Scully.

Mrs. Crane stared at her. "I don't understand. How did Tony get it then? Who gave it to him?"

Scully sighed. "There's no evidence to suggest that there was anyone else involved," she said. "Maybe there was someone who helped your son get the cocaine, but most likely Tony injected himself with it."

 Mrs. Crane fixed her hazel eyes on Scully. "Are you implying Tony did drugs?"

"All indications point to that," said Scully.

Mrs. Crane shook her head. "That's not possible. I knew my son. He was a good kid. Intelligent. He was great in sports. He had excellent grades. I would have known..." he voice trailed off.

Scully didn't reply.

"We were close," argued Mrs. Crane, more to herself than to Scully. "He shared as much as any kid his age shares with his mother, especially after his father passed away."

"I know this must be hard to accept," said Scully softly. "But facts are facts." She pointed at the report. "Tony had a critically high concentration of cocaine in his blood when he walked into Dr. Walsh' office. It is surprising that he was even able to make it that far."

Mrs. Crane looked helplessly back at Scully. "I was with him," she said weakly. "He looked completely normal."

She sat there, staring forward. "Drugs need money, don't they?" she asked.

Scully did not respond but exchanged glances with Mulder.

"I know what you are thinking," fired back Mrs. Crane. "Yes, we are not exactly middle class. Still, I wasn't raised rich, and I didn't raise my son that way either. I kept track of his spending. He didn't buy things he didn't need. He bought basketball jerseys, chewing gum and Coke."

"Coke!?" Mulder and Scully exclaimed together.

"Coke... as in Coca Cola!" Mrs. Crane clarified angrily.

"Sorry," apologized Scully. "It just that it sounded like..."

Mrs. Crane took a deep breath and recomposed herself. "No, I am sorry. I am not myself. I can't believe he's gone. How does one take coke -- cocaine anyway? You said, injections?"

Scully nodded. "It appears," she said, "that he injected the bottom of his feet."

She took the blue folder from Mrs. Crane and flipped through the pages pointing at some of the autopsy pictures. The bottoms of Tony's feet showed numerous bloody wounds. It was evident that they had been punctured with something sharp.

Mrs. Crane shook in horror. "Why...?"

"I don't know. Probably to avoid detection. Needles leave traces. The puncture holes would be visible on his arms or other parts of his body. I suppose not many people examine the bottom of someone feet."

"Doesn't this... hurt?"

Scully nodded quietly. She put her hand on Mrs. Crane's. "I am so very sorry Mrs. Crane."

"My poor baby..." cried Mrs. Crane. "It must have hurt even when he simply walked. At every step."

She buried her face in her hands again and shook in silent sobbing while Mulder watched on, his light brown eyes averted inward in rapt contemplation.