The Job

You needed a job. Bad. You'd been searching for a job for a month and no good came of it and you were about to give up. Like most lost things a job showed up at the last possible minute in the news paper, why had you read the news paper that day was a mystery, and it looked decent enough. You'd have to help an elderly woman with traveling from place to place when ever she needed, or so it explained, and it paid well. Weird that it would be at that price but you weren't about to argue with these people about it. Calling up the number it was answered by, surprise surprise, an elderly woman.

"Hello?" The woman on the other side of the line asked seemingly irritated.

Might not be a good time. "Hello I was calling about the add...?" You trailed off.

There was yelling but you couldn't tell about what sense it sounded like she had put the phone down or at least away from her. Well not really angry yelling but more over one person talking to another person that was far away yelling...from what you could tell the other voice was a male. Didn't sound to old...why didn't he help her? Well he might not live with her or wasn't able to.

"Whats your name?" She asked after a solid five minutes of muffled yelling.

"(First name), (First name) (Last name)." You replied after a moment from the slight shock of her talking to you once more.

"Age?"

Answering your age you continued answering any other questions she asked such as if you had a car, how busy your schedule was and so on.

"Alright...when can you start?"

Apparently you got the job which was wonderful but something about this...didn't seem right. Though your lack of money and bills along with the cost of food quickly shut that nagging feeling up. "Uh, when ever is good for you miss...?"

"No miss...just call me Blind Al alright? And how about five?"

"Five...sure sounds good, thanks." You replied and hung up after getting the address and scribbling it on your arm in some pen you had on the table near you. After giving your self a much deserved self five you stood and went to your computer to get directions to the address.

After your research along with a nap you found your self driving down the road glancing at houses as you tried to find the right one. Coming to a stop outside the last one on the right you glanced back at the words on your arm then at the house and parked the car. Found it. Getting out you made your way over to the door and knocked after making sure it was the right place once more. Didn't want to accidentally go to the wrong house did you? No...no one does. Glancing at the door where the lock should be as you heard it unlock you were glad someone had heard you. "Hello." You said once the door had opened showing the woman you talked on the phone with. She was thin and slightly smaller than you with short white hair and sunglasses on.

"You must be (Name)." She said simply.

Nodding you replied, "Yes I am." Taking a few steps back as she walked out of the door and locked it behind her you were slightly surprised. Well at least she knew what she needed to do...would be nice if you were aloud to know this information.

"We need to go to the store." She said and turned to face you once more. Reaching out she gently touched your upper arms before giving them a slight squeeze as it to see how strong you were then moved onto doing a quick hight comparison via touching your face. You'd do just fine.

"Alright..." You said slightly put off by the sudden touching but could assume she was doing it to understand the hight difference, though you would've like to been told. Letting her hold onto your arm you lead her to your car and helped her inside. Casting a glance back at the house before getting into the car your self and starting it up.

Driving down the road you listened to her talk and explain more about the job and her self. She went by Blind Al as you knew already. Al was in her her fifties. She enjoyed needlepoint, thimble collecting as well as loved watching, well listening to, Matlock and The Daily Show. Normal old lady things.

Once at the store you parked the car and helped her out once more, "Here." she said handing you a list before taking hold of your arm once more.

Taking the list and opening it you blinked at what you saw. Crayon. Bright red crayon. Did a child write this list? With half of the things that were on it you wouldn't be surprised but weren't about to ask her. You didn't know her personal life after all. Walking her into the store and grabbing a cart you began to check things off of the list as you grabbed them.

"Seeing as how we will be spending time together tell me about your self." Blind Al asked after a little while. And you did. You told her about your hobbies and where you went to college. You told her what major you had and where you wanted to go. also mentioning the pickle you were in before finding that job. She laughed.

"Whats so funny?" You asked as you grabbed a box of Trix and tossed them in the cart.

"Oh, it's nothing...just the fact you might not want this job when you head him." She waved off.

"Him?" You questioned wondering if it was the one you heard her yelling with.

"Yes him. Spoiled child if you ask me. But its a good boy."

Ok so there was a child there. Now you knew where the crayon came from.

"Lets just hope he likes you (Name). He hasn't liked any yet...not that it mattered once the others met him they quit on the spot. Can't be helped though...with his schedule theres no telling when he's at home." She continued.

"What about the others? The ones that didn't quit on the spot?" Her chuckle didn't help you feel better about this. Maybe you should've listened to that nagging feeling after all.