Lesson 1#: The Don'ts

If you are reading this story, it means you’re either interested, or you really want dating advice. Anyway, if you can’t tell, I’m not ‘Rosenose’. Truth to be told, bud, I’m that shy guy that she’s dating. And yes, I am using her account because she never logs off, so I am not a hacker. Although she helped me make the book’s cover.

So here goes:

How to date a shy guy 101 (by a guy).

Lesson 1#: The Don’ts

If you are a girl and you like this guy who’s shy, here are little things that you should NEVER do. But if you’re a guy and is totally into reading this right now, I’m just baffled to what ever made you click this link. I mean really? Why would you even think about clicking this? 

1. Don’t be direct.

Don’t randomly go up to this guy who you think is cute and ask for his number, especially if he’s a really shy guy. The guy could immediately close up, and you don’t want that to happen.

2. Do NOT stalk him.

If you really want to date him, and want to find common interest, don’t follow him around. Believe or not, he might notice you behind the bushes and find you really creepy. Especially if you’re wearing an F-ing tree hat, and camouflage.

3. You shouldn’t be too bold.

Like the first point, you shouldn’t suddenly try and hold conversations if you don’t really know him all that well. You should start slowly, first by exchanging greetings like hellos and goodbyes, and then continue on from there. But remember, don’t jump so quickly from hellos to talking, it takes time. So when you do think that he’s comfortable enough to properly talk to you, then you can make your move then. But until then, don't push it. You'll be coming on too strong.

4. Don’t hug him, yet.

You need to know where you stand when it comes to physical contact. Try tapping him on the shoulder and see if how he reacts, and decide from there where you stand on the contact scale for him. Don’t panic if he finds your company awkward at first, he’ll eventually get used to it and warm up to you after some time. Maybe he’ll even hug you one day. 

Warning: Some guys may take longer, so you need to have patience.

5. NEVER publicly ask the guy out.

If he’s as shy as I am in public, than never ever, I repeat, EVER, ask him out in public. You’ll make the guy freak out. He’ll tense up by how many people there are, and he’ll look at his feet, stick his hands in his pocket and find the ground much more interesting than you. Not to mention you’ll embarrass yourself more than him, considering that people would take that as a rejection, so no. If you want to ask him out, do it after you guys are more comfortable with each other. And make it one on one alone and in private.

6. Don’t think that because you are ‘HOT’ that a guy would never turn you down.

Let’s face it. Some girls out there are hot, but do they score the shy guys, not many do. Guys prefer the cute ones, the girls that they think they can date and the ones that seem approachable. So if you are hot, tone it down and make the guy feel like he has a chance. Open up and make him feel welcomed to talk to you.

7. Mean girls are a turn off.

Chick flicks always emphasise the opposite. Yeah, some people like mean girls, but it’s not really a great attribute to make it through life by making others suffer. So I suggest you keep it kind and nice, and maybe you’ll make a few less enemies in the world that might want to kill you when they’re richer.

8. Don’t be someone you’re not.

Shy guys could be rockers, skaters or even smart guys. Don’t change yourself just to have one little common interest with him. Guys like it when you’re being yourself, it makes them know that you’re real, and they like that. Besides, if they find out that you were lying the whole time, they’ll feel betrayed and close up again. They have feelings too, and some are really sensitive about it.

9. NEVER steal anything that belongs to him just to start a conversation.

Everyone hates thieves, just because it’s a pencil, or eraser, it doesn’t mean that you’re not a thief. You can’t just go up to him and say:

“Hey I found your pencil.” And give it back to him.

He’ll find it awkward and suspicious if he knows that it was missing. It’s even worse, if you sat next to him when it went missing, and if he knows.

10. Don’t assume he likes you, in fact, NEVER ASSUME.

Shy guys like keeping things to themselves, especially if they like a girl. Their friends wouldn't know a thing. If you suspect that he might like you, play it out and watch his body language. If you see him glancing at you nervously, and if he turns away the moment you look, it’s a possible sign. But don’t be so certain. You could embarrass him if you asked his friends, and they would tease him endlessly about it. Honest.

And those are my ten Don’ts.

Next time on How To Date A Shy Guy: Interacting.

Please Review and feel free to ask for advice, but I’m warning you. I might not be able to answer them if it’s awkward.