Getting Christine

Start from the beginning

Grinning, I grabbed his hand and shook it, embellishing the way his skin felt against mine. “It’s a deal then.”

“It’s a deal. Now, you still haven’t told me your name.”

I took my hand away from his and laughed. “Oops, I guess I was too caught up to introduce myself. My name is Alice DeLaney. Don’t bother introducing yourself to me, I know everything about you already. Again, don’t ask.”

“Well, Ms. DeLaney, tell me more about yourself.” Erik led me towards a very soft looking sofa and we both sat down.

I cleared my throat. “I’m an aspiring actress and singer. I can play many musical instruments. I just turned 19 a month and three days ago. I get my red hair from my mother. Nothing really that special.” I hated telling people about myself. It made me feel self-conscious.

“A singer, hm? Tell me, what have you done?”

I looked down embarrassed. “Nothing huge. You wouldn’t know.” (Partly because the places haven’t been made yet.)

Suddenly he stood up. “Stand.” I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me off. “NOW.” I didn’t bother arguing. I stood up and my heartbeat quickened again. Anything this man does literally sends me into an inferno. “Sing for me.”

My eyes bulged. “Oh no, I can’t-“

“Sing for me, now. And do not make me tell you again.”

I thought for a few seconds on what to sing. I settled on a song from the opera about the man in front of me.

I started off slow and gentle:

“You were once my one companion

You were all that mattered

You were once a friend and father

Then my world was shattered

Building up courage I sung this part just a little louder.

Wishing you were somehow here again

Wishing you were somehow near

Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed

Somehow you would be here

Wishing I could hear your voice again

Knowing that I never would

I turned and looked to Erik, walking a little closer.

Dreaming of you won't help me to do

All that you dreamed I could

Passing bells and sculpted angels

Cold and monumental seem, for you the wrong companions

You were warm and gentle

Too many years fighting back tears

Why can't the past just die?

I sung this next part with my voice soul. I let myself be Christine, urging my voice to be perfect for Erik.