Elena's smile fell and she stepped to the side. "Y-Yeah. Sorry."

"Maybe I should give you a lesson on manners, huh? Would that be nice?!" the girl continued, her voice rising in volume.

Elena cowered away, tears threatening to fall.

"Yelling isn't very ladylike," a deep voice said to the Popular.

Elena looked up in surprise at the boy confronting the Popular, and was surprised to see it was Thomas. His figure stood much taller than the Popular.

"Who the hell do you think you're talking to, Delinquent?" the Popular snapped, backing away slightly from his towering figure.

"Don't waste your time on the new girl," Thomas suggested, his brown eyes flashing to Elena.

The Popular put her hands on her hips. "And what makes you think I'll actually listen to you?"

Thomas smirked slightly. "Because, if I were you, I'd be more concerned about your little friends."

"What are you-" the Popular began, but was cut off by a blood curdling scream that echoed down the hallways. She widened her eyes. "What did your freak friends do?!"

"Why don't you go find out," Thomas told her, nudging his head to the left.

The Popular shot him a glare and then scurried off down the hallways.

Elena looked up at Thomas defensively. "What did you do?" she asked.

"Why do you care, don't you hate them?" Thomas asked casually.

"No- well, yes. But I want to make sure no one gets, ya know, killed."

"Calm down. I only had my buddy steal their lipstick. They go crazy without it," Thomas chuckled.

Elena smiled, the situation being too funny. "You're a monster."

"So, where's my thank you kiss?" Thomas asked after a long pause.

Elena's eyes widened and she felt herself blush. She quickly turned away from him. "Nowhere, because you aren't getting one."

"Oh, come on," Thomas pleaded. "I know you like me. Just kiss me."

"You're a Delinquent, I can't. Plus I don't even like you," Elena replied, her jaw clenched.

"Ah, the old Romeo and Juliet thing," Thomas chuckled. "I understand. Looks like paying attention in English was worth it."

"Go make out with Dixie or something," Elena mumbled, and started walking away.

Elena left Thomas behind and searched for Molly and Dillon. She pushed through a crowd of people until she found her friends.

"Have fun looking at the bulletin board?" Dillon asked.

"What? O-Oh yeah," Elena smiled, receiving suspicious looks from Molly and Dillon.

"Let's get to class then," Dillon suggested, and they started walking to their first classes.

Elena broke off from her friends as she entered her first class; chemistry. She slid into her seat and avoided the deathly glare she was being given by Lacey.

"Today we are going to be doing a lab with partners," the teacher announced, looking over the students. She began rattling off the names of students in the groups. "Jack and Lola, you'll be partners, Arthur and..."

Elena tuned out her teacher and looked over at Lacey. She truly looked different. She'd adopted the Delinquent's ways and looked like a mini Dixie.

"Elena and Lacey, since you both are the new students, I'll pair you two together. You'll thank me later," the teacher spoke out, smiling.

Elena's heart froze. Her teacher thought she was doing a favor for Elena, but she was dead wrong. Emphasis on dead. Lacey looked like she wanted to kill Elena, and she didn't understand why. If she was infuriated with Elena because the Delinquent's plan kinda backfired, then she should seek help.

Lacey smiled sinisterly at Elena. She wanted to smack herself at how her situation was too much like those high school shows where the innocent, shy girl gets paired with the class bully. Was that even a thing?

"Now go and work," the teacher announced and returned to her duties.

Elena stood up shakily, and reminded herself that it was just Lacey. It could've been worse. At least she knew Lacey. Or she thought she did.

She pulled up a chair and sat next to Lacey who looked like she wanted to strangle a kitten. The annoyed glint in her eyes made Elena want to strangle her. Why was she acting like such a brat all of a sudden?

"So, um... Let's open our book to page 43 I guess..." Elena mumbled, flipping open her book.

Lacey just sat there, staring up at the ceiling, probably thinking about the next person she'd make uncomfortable. Then, she quickly glanced at Elena, a fake surprised look on her face.

"Were you talking to me?" Lacey asked mockingly.

"Yea," Elena said quietly, unable to meet her ex-friends' gaze.

"What?" Lacey asked louder, placing her hand behind her ear.

"Yes," Elena replied louder.

"Much better," Lacey smiled, kicking her legs up on the desk.

"Can we do work please?" Elena asked, slightly annoyed. "I'm not getting a bad grade because you won't work."

"Then do it yourself, smarty pants," Lacey told her.

"Why are you like this?" Elena asked, her voice fragile. "What made you want to join the Delinquents?"

Lacey ignored her, but Elena could tell the question provoked a thought in Lacey's clouded mind.

"Because you think it's cool?" Elena asked, craving for answers. She hoped she could reach out to her lost friend. She believed there was a sliver of hope, and it was obliterated into tiny pieces when Lacey snorted.

"Your face, oh my gosh. 'Why? Why are you wike this?'" she mocked in a baby voice.

Elena stared in disgust at Lacey, tears blurring her vision. She looked away quickly before Lacey could see them, however. She felt like an idiot trying to reach out to her. Molly was right. Lacey is too far gone to help now.