3. The object of Affection

Start from the beginning

Well...they all seriously underestimated the bond between the quiet maiden and the cunning prince.

On one fine midsummer's eve Odin held a feast...another feast of no particular purpose but to celebrate the sheer strength and wealth of his Kingdom.  Warriors arrived in their droves to be celebrated - battles had been won and the men needed their spoils of war. It was a fairly typical event; loud, obnoxious, brutish, and masculine.

Sigyn attended with her Queen and the other ladies as expected. This was prime hunting ground for unwed noblewomen. All the lands most celebrated and accomplished warriors would be in attendance, and it was always wise for an Asgardian woman to wed a fine warrior...after all strong men meant strong children, and the cycle of desired masculinity would continue.

Try as she might, Sigyn found no happiness with warriors. She liked to be listened to, she liked conversation, she liked to be respected...this was not something Asgardian men excelled at. Oh there were some who were educated and became natural conversationalists...as long as the conversation was about them of course. Little appreciated art, and even less had time for literature.  So, it was no surprise that Sigyn took to the outer fringes of such parties. She partook only when necessary - to dance or sing when commanded by Odin - but she preferred the quietness of the outside looking in.

On this particular evening she sat on a marble bench on the wide sweeping balcony of the feasting hall. With her legs tucked underneath her, and her nose in a book, she hummed happily to joyous tunes emanating from the party. Just because she was not keen on the behaviour of the guests did not mean she disliked the celebratory atmosphere.  She bobbed her head in time to the tune as she licked her thumb to turn the page, too engrossed in the contents of the book to notice the shadow casting over her.

"Is it not a little late to be studying the dark arts Lady Sigyn?"

Loki's voice was as silk - free running and smooth to the ear - she couldn't help but smile broadly when she looked up at him.

"Energy manipulation is not a dark art form, Loki," Sigyn replied evenly, unfurling herself from her curled position to allow space for her Prince to sit; "It is a science that is useful for healing...why else would I study it? I am Sigyn, fidelity and goodness is in my very nature, or do you question me, my lord?"

Loki merely chuckled, a low and breathy sound that was almost seductive. She shivered in spite of herself - it was much too balmy for goose-pimples.

"It depends entirely on what manner you study the transference of matter," Loki answered, running a hand through his smooth ebony hair, his eyes beginning to sparkle in his mischievous way. "This book does not just discuss the safe and good ways of the manipulation of powerful energy.  I can only assume your innocent curiosity leads you down darker paths."

"Well, you would know all about that," Sigyn huffed, her Cupid's bow lips pursing into a barely conceivable pout. She knew full well what her curiosity led too...it led to dead ends and high walls of reinforced independence.

"Oh...ouch...do I detect sourness?" Loki grinned, his left eyebrow cocking upwards in faux disbelief.

"No, my Lord, you detect honesty," Sigyn grumbled, forcefully slamming the book shut and glaring peevishly at her not-quite-lover. "Honestly Loki, is this a game to you? I thought we cared about one another, I thought we were friends...actually I thought we were more than friends for a moment? Maybe I was wrong...maybe I should have ignored your pouting and married Theoric...at least I would have had a home and a title, and luxuries to speak of!"

"If you want my attention Sigyn all you need do is ask," Loki interrupted her spewing ramble with his soft, cajoling voice, with gentle emerald eyes that matched the pretence of care in his tone - or was it real? Sigyn never knew.