Chapter 5: First Impressions

Harry's eyes awoke to the darkness of his enclosed four-poster bed. He rubbed his eyes, reaching for the glasses on his bedside table. He'd had a strange dream, ending in the green light of the Avada Kedavra curse that had given him his scar. A dream involving Snape, Hermione…and a whole bunch of other things he didn't recognize – the Sorting Hat had been there, and then this odd tree, bare of leaves, but shining with a curious inner light. It reminded him vaguely of the description of the Silmarils of Tolkien's work. Slipping out of bed, he checked the clock beside him, and saw that it was only half past six. The rest of the dormitory was still asleep, including the thunderous snores of Crabbe…or it might have been Goyle. Looking around, Harry was starting to wonder just how difficult living with this group was going to be. He and Malfoy were already enemies, and with him the two burly bodyguards. Zabini seemed unthreatening enough, while Nott was intriguing, but there was also something about him that Harry did not like much. He wasn't sure what it was.

Whatever. I'm a Slytherin. And I'm staying a Slytherin.

Harry pulled on a dressing gown and made his way to the lavatory, quickly bathing and pulling on his school robes. He grabbed his book bag, stuffing Hogwarts: A History in with his schoolbooks, and then pulled some parchment and a pen out of his trunk, and began to write.

Dear Daph,

Well, the train ride was relatively uneventful; I actually got a compartment to myself and read peacefully the whole way there. I thought had made a friend, a bright Muggleborn girl named Hermione Granger, but now I'm not so sure. The problem is that I was Sorted into Slytherin. I personally don't mind that, though Professor Snape seems to think me a stain upon the earth (could you shed any light on that?), but it seems that you were right about people making assumptions. My sorting shocked the whole school, and I didn't get many friendly looks.

To make matters worse, I'm having trouble with Lucius Malfoy's son, Draco. The idiot tried to befriend me and I told him I'd rather not get chummy with the son of a Death Eater. Bloke didn't take that too well, though my wand at his neck managed to make him shut up. So that's my first day.

Can only hope it gets better, I guess.

Love,

Harry

Looking over the letter, Harry added a few things and then rolled it up and tied it with a ribbon. He gathered his things and set off for the Owlery. He exited the Common Room, and checked his watch to see it was just seven o'clock. Harry wasn't sure, but he thought it wasn't too early to leave his dormitory. Pulling on a cloak, he set off through the freezing dungeons, and took the staircase into the Entrance Hall. As he wandered through the abandoned halls of the castle on his way to the Owlery, he encountered no one, the exception of a few sleep-looking portraits. Eventually he arrived, and found Hedwig, who gave him on affectionate nip before he flung her out the window. He watched her soar into the dawning sky and then turned around to a curious sight. Hermione Granger stood at the base of the steps, holding a letter in her hand, her eyes widened in fear. He took a step toward her, but she turned and ran out of view.

Harry slumped against Owlery wall, thoughts spinning through his mind. Why won't anyone give me a chance? Do I have a sign on my forehead that says: "I am a Dark Wizard and all Muggleborns must die? Harry was starting to wonder what the Sorting Hat had been thinking when it sorted him into Slytherin. How was he supposed to be great if everyone cowered at the sight of him? Or hated his very existence, like Snape?

Harry wandered back down from Owlery, and looking dejectedly down at the ground, nearly ran into Professor Snape, who appeared to be in a particularly foul mood.