World War II Family

Start from the beginning

            Martha went downstairs and into the living room to wait for her mother to return. How could God let this happen? Why did He let a war begin and her family be tore apart? Why? She couldn't believe that Charles wouldn't be coming back just like her little siblings, but at least she would remember him better. She had spent about fifteen years together before this war had began; so now she was almost twenty. Tommy would have very little memory of Charles since he was only one when he left. Rebecca was only two when he left. How could this happen to her family?

            Martha looked at the window and realized that she had forgot to put the star up. She quickly made a search for it and slowly made her way to the window. Oh, it pained her so much as she placed the star into the window. To see it there hanging so other may know of the death in her family. Almost every house now had at least one. Poor Mrs. Jeckins had sent her husband and her only sons, Kenith and Sam, into the war and now she had three stars hung in her window.

            This September first was the worst in all Martha's life and it got worst when her mother came through the door. Her mother had seen the star as she had walked up to the house and as soon as she saw Martha, she exclaimed, “Who died?” Tears were both in their eyes as her mother crossed the floor to sit beside me.

            “Charles,” cried Martha into her mother's arms. She couldn't be strong anymore. She just wanted to cry and cry until she drowned herself with her tears. Martha's watery eyes looked into her mother's sad face and more tears flooded down her cheeks.

            “Let's go to bed,” her mother said as they both unwillingly stood and padded up the stairs and into their rooms.

            The next morning Martha's mother was gone and the little ones were still in bed. Martha slowly got up and walked down the hall to where the little ones slept. 'Tommy. Rebecca. It is time to wake,” she said softly as she gently shook each one. They yawned and slowly climbed out of their beds and walked to the bathroom.

            Martha hurried down the stairs and sat before the radio. She hesitated a moment before she turned on the radio. She listened to all the names and luckily she didn't hear her father's. She turned it off and went into the kitchen and grabbed some apples from a nearby bowl She placed four apples on the table and stuck on in her pocket before eating the last one. She pulled on her coat and her shoes before heading off to work. The little ones would go to school on their own.

            Later that evening Martha let her head hang as she walked home. Work had been exhausting and she was starving. For the last week she had been giving her lunch to a girl, who worked in the same factory as her. She also had been giving most of her supper to Tommy every night.

            She walked through the door to see her little siblings sad expressions. She lead them to the table and pulled out some more ham and pour them each a little glass of milk. They had just sat down when Martha's mother suddenly burst in. “Mother? Is something wrong?” Martha exclaimed as her mother ran to the living room and turned on the radio.

            “No. I think something is right,” her mother answered and they all crowded around the radio.

            “The war is over! All soldiers will be returning home in a month!” the radio sounded and the Stuart family hugged another with happy tears. The war was over and their father would be home soon.

            They were so excited that they forgot about eating and talked until it was time for bed. The next month was full of excitement and anxiety. They worked on cleaning the house and working on the lawn. They wanted everything to be perfect for when father would be home, but there would be no Charles coming home. Their hearts were sad over that part, but they were often too worried about how their father had changed over the years. The little ones thought he would be a giant now, while both Martha and mother thought he would have a beard.

            Then the day came and father came slowly up the walk to the house. A gentle thump, thump could be heard as he carefully made his way. Martha stared through the window and for sure he had grown a beard, but what was he using to support himself. He looked wore down and about ready to collapse, but a smile crossed his face as he looked up at her through the window.

            Mother let him in and wrapped him in a huge hug. The little ones went up to grab his legs, but they were surprised to only find one leg. Martha stood back of all and looked carefully over her father. He was still in his uniform and he used crutches to move around. Part of  his right leg was missing and his pant leg was pinned up. His hair was uncut and wild. His face was somber and he had dark circles under his eyes.

            “Hello my dears,” he said gruffly as mother helped him to a chair to sit on. Tommy ran up and crawled onto his left knee, while Rebecca and Martha stood behind him.

            “Hello dad,” we girls greeted sweetly as we each leaned in and kissed his filthy cheek.

            “Dad. Where is your other leg?” Tommy asked as he hugged his father sweetly. His mother gave him a disapproving look and his father gave a little sigh.

            “Well, son. During the war I fought long and hard. There were bombs and bullets everywhere. I unluckily got trapped near a bomb and my leg was   blown off at the same time Charles was destroyed,” father answered as he squeezed Tommy and tears formed into everyone's eyes.

            “There is no body of Charles to bury?” mother asked between sobs. Martha stood next to her mother and hugged her tight. Tears fell from both of their eyes and Rebecca clung to her mother's leg.

            “No. There is no body. Charles and John were trying to help me when the bomb went off. There was so much death and sorrow on that battlefield,” father replied sadly as he took his wife's hand.

            Martha had to agree. Too much sorrow. Too much death. Too much violence, but it was over now and her father was home; even though, he was both war tired and maimed. She loved him and she was so glad he had fought so hard to protect their family. She was proud like all the other girls and women around that her brother had died trying to protect those he loved.