A Very Bumpy Ride

Harry and Ron trudged down the iron steps to the street. Brynja stayed behind to talk to Oliver some more.

"The bus," Ron said. "Aren't you supposed to—"

Harry stuck his wand out over the street. There was a loud bang and the Knight Bus, a big purple triple-decker bus, appeared at the curb. Ron hollered and fell backward, and Harry laughed.

"It's not funny," Ron said, rubbing his backside as he got up. "I could have broken my wand!"

Harry continued laughing, clutching a stitch in his side. "I did that—I did that—I did that when I was thirteen," he gasped.

The bus door opened and Stan Shunpike, older, stubbly, and with dark-circles under his eyes, looked down at them. "Welcome to The Knight Bus, the preferred mode of transportation for the stranded witch or wizard. I'm Stan Shunpike, this here's our new driver, Rawdy Ponder. Eleven sickles for a ride, thirteen gets you hot cho —Harry Potter!" Stan shouted, suddenly straightening up.

Harry turned and whispered to Ron. "Last time I told him I was Neville."

"Yep," Ron said, pushing past Harry and climbing on the bus. He dug his hands into his pockets and put a galleon in Stan's palm. "That's Harry Potter."

"Hi, Stan," Harry said, waving cheerfully and digging out another galleon. Ron was pretty sure he remembered that Stan had spent the last year under the imperius curse, though as far as Ron could see, he was alright now. "Keep the change," Harry said, racing to catch up to Ron. "Oh, but we want hot chocolate!" he shouted back.

"Right then!" Stan waved.

Harry took the bed next to Ron's. They were across from a fat old wizard whose ascot had fallen over his face and was fluttering as he snored. There was a loud bang. The bus jumped and resumed its journey down a London street. Ron groaned as the bed rolled and came to a sudden halt.

"This is awful," he said. "Why are there even beds here."

Harry pointed to the sleeping old wizard. "For people who have had more to drink than we have," he said.

A few minutes later Stan came by with their hot chocolate. He stood about awkwardly, as if he wanted to say something. Finally he blurted, "Thank you" and headed to the front of the bus.

Harry and Ron drank their chocolate in silence until it was their turn to be brought home. Harry gave Stan the street because he didn't think the bus could find their exact address with the fidelius charm placed on it.

As they stood at the front door, Ron, who had been quiet for half an hour now, spoke. "I miss Hermione," he said.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, me too."

Harry opened the door and they stepped into the dark and dismal entryway of Twelve Grimmauld Place. Harry raised his wand and lit the lamps in the hall. "Hey, you know, when we were camping I used to use the map to make sure Ginny was okay," he said. "You could use it to check in on Hermione. I know it's not the same, but I dunno. Seeing her dot moving around the castle is...it's something."

Ron shook his head. "Nah, that's alright, mate. I wouldn't want her to feel like I was spying on her."

"I mean, you wouldn't be using it to make sure she's not hanging around with other guys. It's just nice to see her dot moving, like..." he trailed off.

Ron nodded. He got what Harry meant, but he just wasn't sure it would be as meaningful when they knew Hermione was safe where she was.

Ron went up to his room, and Harry retired to his own. He didn't even change into pajamas; he just kicked off his shoes and robes and climbed into bed in his trousers and t-shirt. The tingly warm feeling was wearing off, and now Ron was just tired.

A knock came at the door. Harry was standing there, swaying in the door. Even his cheeks were red, though the bubbly energy that had filled him on the bus was fading. Harry held out the map. "Just give it back at breakfast, yeah?"

Ron mumbled his thanks. He closed the door and sat on his bed with the map. He tapped it with his wand. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," he said. The map came to life.

Ron followed the spiderweb of lines to Gryffindor tower. Hermione's dot was there in the common room next to Ginny's. As Ron watched, Hermione's dot left the common room and ascended the staircase to the seventh year dorms. The dot, labeled Hermione Granger, stopped at what Ron assumed was her bed. It didn't move for a long time, but Ron kept watching. He liked to think that, as he sat in bed thinking of Hermione, that she was thinking about him, too. And as the lantern next to his bed flickered, Ron's eyelids drooped and his wand dropped to the floor. He fell asleep, the map open on his chest, and he dreamed of Hermione Granger.