Love Conquers All

*trigger warning*

I’m fine, she had said. She had doubted he’d believe her, he never did. He could read her like a book. But he had merely said, Alright, and kissed her cheek.

It had surprised her. She had expected him to force it out of her, expected him to corner her in the kitchen until she spilled. But he just smiled and went into the dining room with the boys.

She had finished making dinner in a hurry, knowing there were three hungry men awaiting their meal. She had served them, watched them scarf down the food hungrily; she barely picked at hers, though, simply moving it around on her plate so it looked as if she were eating. No one noticed. Surprising, since he seemed to notice everything. But no, her antics were invisible to her family. She didn’t know whether to be relieved that none of them could read her, or hurt that they didn’t seem to care enough to try.

Now, she stood in the master bathroom, staring at her reflection in the mirror, wanting nothing more than to just cease existence. She had tried so hard, done everything right. She had been nice, been good, even. She had helped those she despised most, mended relationships with them, and ultimately changed her ways. She had done a complete 180.

So it perplexed her that her life was still going downhill. She had done what Snow said, she hadn’t let anything hold her back. She found love, and she worked hard to keep it. She built a life, a family with him. And every time she let herself within an inch of real, true happiness, her world came crashing down again. Honestly, she didn’t know how much more she could take.

She gazed into the mirror, looking herself over. Studying the way her skin began to sag in places, due to stress and pain no doubt. The dark, prominent bags under her eyes, probably permanent, from her constant exhaustion. She was young, still in her prime, but she was beginning to look older with each passing day. She realized this and it stung her heart, burning the already open wound that just refused to heal itself, or at least scab over. When, and if, it finally did, it would be just another scar to represent the pain she’s gone through in her life. If she lived to see the day…

Her feelings washed over her, filling every corner of her mind. And the pain, oh the pain that slowly etched its way into her soul. Tears poured over her cheeks as she faced her own worst enemy in her bathroom mirror. She didn’t know how much longer she could stand this, this pain, this torment. She loved him, of course she did, and he knew it though she had yet to say it. But being with him only caused her this never-ending agony. She had lived with this for so long, and it finally dissipated when he came into her life… And then, Zelena happened. And everything crashed and burned. And now, he brought comfort, along with her good friends pain and sadness. She had thought she’d passed that part of her life, reached the summit of the mountain and was on the downward stretch to pure joy. Apparently not, as fate had more trials and suffering in store for her.

She stood in her bathroom, not knowing if she’d leave the same way she entered: alive.

How much longer could she take this pain? How much more could she bare?

The answer was simple: she had reached her limit.

Before another thought could enter her mind, though, he was there, in the doorway that she’d forgotten to close, concern all over his face. She turned her face away from the mirror, closing her eyes so she couldn’t see him. He made her decision all the more harder. If she couldn’t see him, maybe she could rip out her heart without second thoughts. Maybe she could end all her pain right there, right then, with him in the room…

Would he care?

Would he try to stop her?

Well… Let’s find out, she thought.