Chapter 2

I get checked to the ground and pretty soon I'm wheezing as I got the wind knocked out of me. 

“You alright?” My Dad asks. I try to catch my breath but fail as I just suck in more air than I needed. After a couple minutes of me on the ground, trying to catch my breath, I finally stop breathing hard and my heartbeats back to normal. 

“I'm fine, just took me by surprise.” I reply when I stand up and pick up my lacrosse stick. “Can we head in now?” I complain as I grab my shirt and wipe the sweat off my face. My dad rolls his eyes but nods. We stride along the backyard and finally make it inside the nice and air conditioned house. A grin spreads across my face as my eyes land on the freshly baked cookies on the kitchen counter, as I went to grab one, my hand is smacked away. 

“Go away Seth, these aren't for you.” My Mom glares. My Dad sneakily grabs one off the plate, she gasps and glares at my Dad. I quickly take that as a distraction and I steal myself a cookie. 

“Emery! Look what you're teaching your kids!” My Mom yells as my Dad disappears somewhere upstairs. 

“These are great!” He yells down and my Mom rolls her eyes and I quickly shove the rest of the cookie in my mouth.

“Now that you ate them, you can go give these to the new neighbors.” She snaps as she drops the plate in my hand, I let my mouth drop. 

“The cookies ready?” Emilee questions as she descends down the stairs.  

“Yep, you and your brother can go run them over.” 

Emilee narrows her eyes at me. “He might scare them away with his ugly looks.” I pretend to run after her and she squeals. I laugh at her. 

“Please, stop!” My Mom yells with a sigh. “All I'm asking is someone bring the neighbors the cookies!” we sigh but Emilee and I head outside. 

Emilee knocks on the door and we wait in silence for someone to answer the door. My heart starts thumping against my chest though when I think of Lacey and the last time I saw her. I haven't seen her since the day I dropped Emilee off but yet she won't leave my mind. I'm never the one to believe in love at first sight but they say you know love when you see it. 

And I definitely saw it. 

Finally, the door is opened. To my dismay it wasn't Lacey who opened the door but a little girl. She had the same long and wavy light brunette hair that Lacey had so I made the connections. Sisters. The little girl was also the one yelling to Lacey the day they moved. 

“Hello?” The little girl asks. 

“Lily Hartford Mitchell!” My lips twitch at the sound of Lacey's voice. Lacey then comes in view, a baggy shirt on her small body, and big pajama pants rested on her hips. “I'm sorry about that.” Lacey apologizes as she smiles at us. Showing off her pearly white teeth. 

“Hi, I'm Emilee and this is Seth, we live in the house next to ours and we made you cookies, just a welcome gift to the neighborhood.” Emilee babbles on. Smooth, Emilee, smooth.