•FIVE•

Hayes' POV

I was on my way to go drop off Nigel to get a bath then get coffee with Austin, Dylan, and Michael so we could discuss whether or not we should hire Adam.

I dropped Nigel off and headed to the coffee shop.

I walked in and saw Austin already sitting at a table.

I sat down at the table and he looked up at me "Hey Hayes." "Hey, Austin. Where are the other guys?" "I don't know. They haven't showed up yet." "Oh."

"Well, how was dinner with Adam last night?" He asked "It was kind of strange because Nigel wouldn't stop growling at him, but it's probably because he has cats."

"What are you talking about? He doesn't have cats." "Really? He said he did" "Maybe he just got some, because whenever I go over there, he doesn't have any pets." "Oh... Did he lie to me?" "Umm, I guess so. He's not really the type to lie though."

"He says dogs don't really like him and he knows because of his brother's dog." "His brother's dog? He doesn't even have siblings."

"What? He said in the interview that he had siblings and a niece and a nephew."

"Well, he told me that he's an only child." "Is there anything else that I need to know?" I asked while sitting back in my chair "Well what did he tell you?"

"He said he had a niece and a nephew, he moved from Texas to here a few years ago--" "That's a lie, too. He's lived here for a pretty long time, and has never talked about Texas."

"And he said him and his girlfriend broke up two months ago because of a few minor disagreements."

"Him and his girlfriend broke up because there was domestic abuse going on."

I let out a sigh in frustration and put my face in the palm of my hand "I've gotta go and straighten some things out." I said while getting up from the table and leaving.

I decided to head home because I needed to call an old friend.

I walked in the front door and heard two voices, Danica's and a man's voice.

I slowly walked into the living room and saw Danica and Adam sitting on the couch, having a conversation.

"Hey guys." I interrupted their conversation. They both looked back at me "Oh, hey Hayes." Danica said with a smile "Hey." Adam said with a wave

"I have to go take a business call, so I'm gonna be in the other room."

"Ok." Danica responded then turned back to Adam.

I walked into our bedroom and locked the door.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and searched through the contacts in my phone.

I swear, it's been so long, I don't even think I still have this number in here.

After what felt like decades of searching, I finally found the contact.

Shawn Mendes

I pressed call and held the phone up to my ear.

I was really hoping he would pick up the phone.

I've called him three times already and am really giving up hope.

After all of my waiting, he finally picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" "Shawn? Is that you?" I could feel my heart pounding in my chest

"Yeah, who is this?" "It's Hayes." "oh hey Hayes! How have you been?" "Umm, I'm fine, but I really need a favor from you." I kind of cringed at the fact that it was the first time I've called him in years, and now I'm asking for favors.

"Yeah, sure, what do you need?"

"I needed to do a background check for one of the people that applied for a job, but I need one that shows everything about him." "Ok, what's his name?" "Adam Glover." "Ok, I'll do it as soon as possible and get back to you on it."

I let out a sigh in relief "Thank you so much. I really appreciate this." "No problem."

"Ok, I'll talk to you later then." "K. Bye." "Bye." I hung up the phone and laid back on the bed.

Well that was nerve-racking.

I walked back into the living room and Danica was sitting on the couch alone, watching TV.

"Hey, where'd Adam go?" I asked "He left a few minutes ago." "Oh... Why was he here?" "He said he wanted to talk to you, but I guess you took too long, so he decided to leave."

"Oh... Danica?" "Yeah?" "I don't want him over here anymore. At least while I'm not here."

She looked back at me "Why?" "Because I said so." I said bluntly "...Ok then." I could tell she was going to say something else, but she didn't and it kind of surprised me. It also surprised me because she just went with it and said ok.

I know her, and I also know she would have asked why again or said something like how she's a grown woman who can take care of herself. Don't get me wrong, I love it when she stands up for herself and says something if it bothers her, but I'm glad she just kept quiet this time.

🇺🇸🇬🇧🇨🇦🇺🇸🇬🇧🇨🇦🇺🇸🇬🇧🇨🇦🇺🇸🇬🇧🇨🇦

I finally updated and I updated two chapters in a row.

Finally. 😩🙏🏾

I stayed up so late.

Thank you all so much for putting up with my BS and being patient and understanding with the updates.