Stubborn, Single, and Nowhere Ready To Mingle

4 Years Later...

- A . D -

"Kairi hurry up, I have to drop you off to daycare!" The navy haired officer yelled through the house to reach out to his daughter. His daughter ran out of her room with her hair still messy.

"Sorry dad!" The little girl apologized. Aomine sat down on the couch and motioned for her to sit in between his legs so he can comb her hair while she puts her shoes on. Kairi sat in between her father's legs and he grabbed the small comb off the coffee table and ran the comb through her long navy locks while she tied her shoes independently.

After Aomine detangled her locks, he picked her up and carried her to the car in his arms and buckled her in her carseat. Aomine started the engine and drove towards the daycare like he did everyday. He could tell that Kairi was still sleepy because it was still fifty minutes before daycare started. He only needed to drop her off early because his shift at the station started early today.

Aomine parked the car in front of the building and retrieved Kairi from her car seat. The pair walked to her class together. Kairi was holding her father's hand. Once they both reached her class, Aomine knocked softly on the door and got her teacher's attention, which was a kind old lady who watched over the children.

"Oh Aomine! You're quite early today," The old lady greeted with a smile as he let go of Kairi's hand to let her walk into the class.

"Yeah, but you know, chief is making me call in earlier today, so I had no choice but to drop her off early," he explained.

"Ah, I see I see. Well it's no problem. It's always a pleasure having her, despite her troublesome and mischievous nature," she chuckled at Aomine, causing him to blush slightly in embarrassment because he knew she was talking about him.

"Don't worry, my granddaughter is quite the troublesome individual as well her son. Her son is always an energetic and mischievous little boy as well," Aomine nodded.

"This might be unusual, but my granddaughter actually matches with you. She's quite beautiful although she might have the mouth of a sailor. She actually works for that big name CEO that owns a media and electronics company. And she's a single parent, just like you" she smiled. Aomine let off a slight chuckle.

"Thank you for the thought Naomi-san, but I'm just focused on Kairi right now. And plus, I don't need another woman. More work," she just laughed.

"Well, I have to get going or else chief will kill me again. Thank you once again Naomi-san," Aomine said and waved at his daughter and left to head to the station. Aomine closed the door to his car and unlocked his phone. Before he could do anything else, he paused at the sight of his background of him and Kairi. Everytime he looked at his beautiful daughter, she reminded him of his wife who died on the day of their daughter's birth. Aomine sighed and let his head fall back at the headrest for a moment.

I'm only 29 and my wife is dead and I'm taking care of our 4 year old daughter alone...

Aomine honestly didn't know how he was still holding up. He's a single parent and even though he's been taking care of Kairi for four years, he's still quite clueless on some fields of parenting. His wife had been more accustomed to kids than he was and he was hoping that she would teach him how to properly take care of their child. But instead he's been learning along the way by himself (he refused to accept Momoi's help because he wanted to try being a father first). 

Heck, he still forgets to take care of himself. Aomine often considered giving her up for adoption, where she'll be raised in a better home, where she'll probably have both parents. But in the end, he didn't. Kairi was the only living evidence of him and his wife's DNA and there was no way he'd give up on his her. She is already being forced to grow up without a mom. Being forced to grow up with completely different people would be too much for her. He was still surprised that Kairi loved him, regardless of his flaws.