2: The First Meeting

Six Years Ago

"Em, wait up! Em, Emily!" Sarah calls as she links her arms through mine.

"Which lucky guy is it this time that has made you so flustered?" I laugh and we make our way to the last period. Sarah has always been a hopelessly romantic, dreaming about meeting her prince charming in college and living her happily ever after.

She drops her voice to a hushed whisper, "Jerald, Jerald McCadden."

"Who?" I ask in confusion.

She looks at me in bewilderment. "Jerald McCadden, the campus's sex on the stick and star quarterback of the football team!"

I shake my head.

She rolls her eyes. "Em, stop the pretence! Even the freshmen know about him. He is always part of the latest gossip that goes around. Now I really wonder whether if you are living in a cave."

"Sarah, you know I have never shown any interest in gossips and rumours. Besides, you understand my reasons why I stop paying attention to football and stay clear of it." I answer. "So, what did he do? Is he going to bring you out on a second date or giving you his jersey to wear for his upcoming game?" I nudge her ribcage jokingly.

"No, Em. Jerald McCadden doesn't do girlfriends. He humps and dumps. A typical self-centered jock with an overly-inflated ego." She mutters.

"Then I don't see the point of this conversation. If he is at the top of the food chain, then it's highly unlikely for him to notice your existence."

"That's where you are wrong Em. He already does and it's you. You are his latest target, the newest flavour of the week or months. Don't let him break you." Sarah warns.

I scrunch up my nose. "Target, what target? I've never been up on the radar. How does he even know about me?"

"It's part of their tradition. Every month, they will pick a girl and make her fall for them. When she does, they leave her without a second thought. It's stupid and degrading, and it makes me wonder why do girls still fall for such traps. Maybe they are just too gullible and fantasize of being 'the one' to change them. I highly doubt guys like them know what it's like to love someone. Anyway, apparently his friends have been keeping their tabs on you, they make a bet with him that you, Emily Lachlan, will be a challenge that Mr Charming Pants is unable to conquer. I'm serious Em, keep your guards up and maintain your distance. You have been through enough." Sarah explains. "I've placed a bet on you too Em. Don't make my money go down in vain."

I smile, "Don't worry, I'll make sure you get to keep your money. I'm known as the 'Ice Queen' for a reason."

We squeeze our way through the tumultuous crowd, make our way into the classroom and sit in our usual seats as the bell rings.

Mrs Osen strides in a few seconds later and announces, "Class, today let's analyse the musical text of Ballade No. 1 in G Minor composed by Chopin. Pair up with the person sitting in the row in front and jot down some notes on the urtext. I will call upon a few pairs to share their findings later." She pauses. "Come on, get moving, there's no time to waste."

Sarah squeezes my hand and her eyes dart to the boy with the dirty blond hair, who so happens to be my partner. "He's one of them, Garreth Roberts." She mouths a simple 'Good Luck' before turning her attention to her partner.

Garreth spins his chair around and gives me a look-over. "Hi babe, you look familiar, didn't we take a class together?" He winks.

"Not that I'm aware of."