"Annabella, where are you?" She questions, her voice stern and loud.

"I'm at the mall with a friend," I flinch.

"You made a friend?" Her voice softens.

"Yeah, I guess," I answer, unsure, "But I have a question."

"Yes, what is it, dear?" She sounds tired and warn out. I can almost picture her rubbing the sweat off her forehead. She works so hard.

"C-can I dye my hair?" I stutter.

"What color?"

"Blue."

"I don't know if Mummaliese would be okay with that..." She debates, "Maybe a natural color?"

"Brown?" I suggest.

"Brown would be nice," She says, "Why don't you call Mummaliese and if she's okay with it then so am I!"

"Okay, thank you!" My smile, "Bye Mum!"

"So, what'd she say?" Calum asks me.

"Well, I have to call and get permission from my other mum first." I explain.

"You have two mums?" He gapes in surprise. I swear to God, if he's homophobic this project is over.

"Yes, my parents are lesbian and if you have a problem with that then you can consider this project over!" I snap, clicking on Mummaliese's contact.

"Hey, I don't have a problem with it," Calum defends, "But, the other kids might. I suggest you be quiet about it."

"Hi, Mummaliese!" I greet, ignoring Calum, once she answers the phone, "Can I dye my hair brown?"

"Annabella, you know how I feel about things like that," Mummaliese says, "Why would you ever want to change your hair color? It's beautiful now."

For as long as I can remember Mummaliese would tell me nice, soothing things. Telling my I'm perfect and to never change for anyone. She was insecure as a child, causing her to inflict pain on herself and I guess she just doesn't want me following in her footsteps.

"It's for a project," I explain.

"What's the project about?"

"Well, this boy is trying to make me popular for his senior project," I elaborate, "He wants to see if looks matter more than personality."

"Why did he choose you?" Mummaliese  questions.

"I don't know, Mummaliese." I start to get impatient, "Can I dye my hair or not? It's for a good cause!"

"Well, I suppose so," She agrees, "As long as it's okay with your Mum!"

"It is!" I say gleefully, "Thank you! Bye!" I hang up the phone, stuffing it in my back pocket.

Turning towards Calum, he asks me, "So can you or not?"

"I can," I confirm happily. Not wanting to admit that I'm enjoying this, we walk into a hair-salon. Honestly, I like the way I am, but other kids don't and that causes me to dislike the way I am. Does that even make since.

"Here," Calum shoves a box of hair dye into my hands. I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I didn't realize he had already bought it.

"Now, I'm going to drop you off at home and then you're going to dye your hair, watch Bethany Mota makeup tutorials on YouTube so you know how to do your makeup, and come to school tomorrow looking hot as fuck." He explains rather rudely, making me question why I even agreed to do this project in the first place. However, I just nod and follow him out to his car for a silent ride home.