3

I've been searching dark caves and pools and abandoned shacks for relics for years, but here I am in this old, treasure of a ship, so much grander than anything I've ever found in Jakku's caves. It's honestly a bit intimidating, seeing all the other smaller souvenirs around the YT 1300 Corellian brand freighter. Like a small chunk of the first two Death Stars and an original stormtrooper helmet and uniform. And blaster. It's funny to see how much the Empire has improved in all their ways since the war began. Even the ship itself is even so old. They don't make this model anymore, as sad as that is.

"Go ahead," the captain says, motioning towards the holo chess table as he comes in. "Sit down."
"Thank you." Finn and I take a seat beside the wookiee and BB-8 whirls over to the other side of the area to make friends with a blue and white artoo unit.
"You have something you want to ask me about," he says as if to read my mind as he watches me sit down.
"You don't have powers like those old wiz-"
The captain laughs lightly, sitting back in another chair, instinctively keeping a hand on his blaster holster which carries a classic DL-44. "No, kid. I'm not one of them. Now, tell me. What are you here for?"
I reach back into my pouch, hanging on a long string over my shoulder. I dig out the weapon and hold it out to him. He takes one brief look and whistles before taking it from me, weighing it in his palm. "I think I've heard about these before, but my teacher said they were just a legend. She said none of it was real. Finn told me you might be able to tell me something about it. And I was hoping, too."
"Well, then your good friend here pointed you in the right direction. What exactly do you want to know?"

"I'm just a junk dealer here on Jakku. I was scavenging when my droid found this in a cave. I was just hoping you could provide me with information that might help me to sell it."
"No, kid," the star ship captain leans in close, shaking his head as he hands the item back. He gives me a knowing smile so lopsided it's startling. "You see, this isn't something you can just sell away You have to make sure this doesn't get in the wrong hands. The Empire, the Knights of Ren. They can't have this. You need to take care of this, Rey. You have to keep this safe."

"But, what is it?"

"It's exactly what you said you thought it was, Rey."

I actually laugh, accepting the item of topic back, tossing it from hand to hand. "I wasn't serious! This just reminded me of it. It can't be that . . . whatever it was. Lightsabers! I was told they were an Inner Rim legend."

"Well, news flash, kid. You were told a lie. It's true. All of it. The dark side. The Jedi. They're real."

"No. No, they can't be. That's impossible! They don't exist."

He smiles so broadly, his grin more lopsided than ever. "Then I'll sound pretty crazy when I say I've met one before, huh?"

The wookiee growls something, looking to me and Finn as he does. "Captain?" Finn begins. "What is your friend saying?"

"He says you shouldn't stay here on Jakku with that lightsaber in your possession. He also said you kids shouldn't be running around alone, but he's such a softy. You two look like you can handle yourselves. And with that weapon for defense?! Chewie, I do agree with you about your first point, though. It isn't safe to be carrying that around. If Imperials find you with that-"

"Then, what do you suggest we do? I don't have a ship. I only have a land speeder. I can't just leave."

"Chewie and I will take you. You two can go get your stuff and we'll meet you back here, in the docking bay. I mean, this is serious stiff, kid. A lightsaber. The Empire will have you head!"

"The Empire already wants my head," Finn quickly puts in, his voice dark and thick with fear and remorse. "I should never have come to Jakku in the first place."

"Neither should I have," the old space captain agrees, getting up and turning. "But I ain't in this just to get the thrill of Imperials chasing me." He starts out for the boarding ramp when I jump from my seat to shout, "Wait, Captain! I don't believe we ever caught your name." He stops in the doorway, turns halfway to flash another lopsided smile and answers, "Solo. Han Solo."