The chained monster

~ENDPTH FLASH BACK~

Everything was cold...
Everyday seemed like that, but wasn't that life? Well, life for him... Because he was dangerous. He was locked up like some sort of rabid animal. His heart always quivered when he saw the people in the white coats give him this... Look... It was a mixture of disgust and ... Eᗩᖇ .
He didn't know how to feel about all of this. Everything was going great until he had a little milk accident when his single eye glowed. His teeth had quickly fallen and grown into much pointy grown out teeth... The next thing he knew, he was immediately dragged into a dark cell. A chain on his neck, ankles, and a muzzle. For a few months.
Constantly feeling like crying, he sucked in it... But there were many times when he didn't feel like this. There was a boy, a little taller than he was, that came in sometimes... His name was Papyrus, he'd never forget that name... He was very nice to him, and even though Sans' mouth was hidden from the metal muzzle. He always smiled when he was around. The lights were also turned on when he was around for visiting, so the room wouldn't be dark either. The only way to tell the small skeleton's expressions were trough his eye sockets... But eyes were the windows to the soul anyways, right?
Sans always enjoyed the jokes he made. And sometimes he snuck in food from a placed called 'Muffet's', just for him! He always thought that he was like a guardian angel... A very comical angel, but no less an angel.
Snapping out of his thoughts, his eyes darted up as he saw the lights turn on. Squinting and blinking a bit to get used to the brightness for a second. Before his eyes went wide eyed as always, hearing a click as the door opened.
Really it was disgusting how they locked up such a small skeleton in a cage, like a animal with no life experience behind the bars.
Really he couldn't say much either, sure he'd come by every now and then to see how the kid was doing or so wonder if he was still alive or okay. With all those damned experiments they ran or even did to him was just despising, sickening, selfish.
He was let out from the lab once he was old enough, although knowing someone like him was back and locked up, well he had to meet them! And for the first time he did.. It was pitiful, the way the chains just hooked onto him and that fucking muzzle that covered either a smile or frown, it was hard to tell.
It was funny really, to see such a 'kid' of his own kind just pushed away and put out like a display, like a monster, like a cruel piece of nothing. He knew the kid had a wonderful since of a heart and he could feel that. How strong he was and how he could be, though he couldn't do much to let the kid go. Only to let the doctors watch and see how Sans acted around him, to which the kid did great!
Coming to the door, the doctors had stopped him and only to say. 'Be careful, don't get hurt. Blah blah blah.'
With a roll of his white pupils, Papyrus opened the door with a clock and walked in, closing it behind him. His eyes gazing around the room that he so much hated, and then at the cage that held someone important to him. Someone who had a loving care for the world, someone who could do so much but right now couldn't do a thing.
Moving over to the bars he sat down in front of them, giving off that seemingly chill smile as he leaned back on his hands. "Hey, cool kid." He said and gave a wink, "Having fun a bone-afide time yet? Nah.. I wouldn't either if I was locked up like this kiddo." Usually Papyrus would naturally ramble on about things that didn't make a whole lot of sense at some points, though he knew the other couldn't talk through that muzzle, but only made nods and gestures. "How are y'anyways? I didn't mean to be gone f'er so long. Kinda got caught up in a few mishaps is all, but hey I'm here now right? That's all that counts. Say. ." He looked around for a moment and leaned close. "What if I ask the doctors t'let y'out for bit? Get thoughs bones stretchin' for once?"
He gained a non visible smile as he came in. Not knowing of how the doctors watched through the cameras...
His cheek bones lifted up joy, moving his lower eyes socket a bit. The only time his eyes softened were when he was with Papyrus, the rest of the time they were big and wide... Gosh he loved the way he smiled in such a chilled way. He was really cool...
His cheeks only lifted higher when he was called 'cool kid'. A muffled giggle coming from him before he looked to the side to the ground... He hadn't been here for around a week, so it was nice to hear that he was just busy. Admittedly, he felt really comfortable around Papyrus. He really hoped even though it was hard to communicate things to him, that he would get a sense of that.
Wait... The doctors, let him out? That sounded amazing!! He could run around for awhile instead of just sitting and sleeping in the same place. It ached a bit sometimes, but they did let him roam in another locked room for awhile until quickly making him go back. But outside a locked door?
His eyes got a small spark of wonder as he tried soaking in each word he just spoke. Giving a few desperate and excited nods. It was worth a shot for him to ask right? Oh yeah... There was that thing he wanted to show him!
Though his magic was limited in chains, it didn't stop him from making light magic. Never in front of the scientists though... He was good at practicing it with just sitting for hours on end. So, with a mustered up spirit, he winked down his right eye. His left eye giving a soft glow as he focused really really hard. Small blue letters forming above his head.
Y E A H
The light of the letters quivered for a few seconds before they lightly bursted. Sans smiled at him gleefully, he was really wanting to show him that!!
But... What if he couldn't convince them? What if he did convince them?... Again, it was worth a shot. It wouldn't hurt to ask, right?...
It was funny how he knew when Sans was smiling or not, just the way the kids pupils lit up when he came around just made him know the young skeleton was happy to be noticed by someone other than a doctor. He loved each time he could get a giggle or small laughter from him, even a little gesture of some sort. He knew Sans wasn't happy here and really the only reason he hadn't been here is because he had gotten into a huge argument with one of the doctors about getting Sans out of the place, which made him get kicked out.. He would do anything for the small skeleton, anything at all! He didn't like leaving him, or letting him be lonely without someone to make him smile. He wanted the kid to relax and stay chill, or smile and laugh as much as he could. He was going to try again to let Sans out, but.. He'd have to watch him closely, take him in and do everything he could.
Sans was everything to him, the only skeleton around and the only skele-bro he had actually, or so that's how he thought of him, like a brother, a cool one, but not as cool as himself of course. Yeah he'd love to take Sans under his arm and keep him company every day, but it would be a hard doing for the doctors to let such a 'monster' go. He took in a soft breath and tilted his head when the male's eye started to glow blue, was he trying to do some magic already? Impressive but-
As the words appear it made is own soul skip a throbbing beat, now that's what strength is. He looked at him and gave a gentle clap to him. "Wow kiddo, y'sure got some power huh?" He laughed softly. "I'm proud you're getting better at Magic, kid, pretty cool, but not as cool as me, right?" He teased and took in a soft breath. "Listen, it would be cool and all to get you outta here, but.. It would take commitment for me and you. The doctors would be on my ass. More so likely yours. You know, you'd have to do a lot of things, acting right, staying by my side, not getting out of my sight. You catch my flow, right?" He turned his gaze to one of the cameras and back at Sans. "If you can do those things kid.. They'd surely let y'go, besides.. I wouldn't mind havin' a lil' skele-bro around the place to keep me company."
With all that being said one of the doctors walked in, motioning for Papyrus to come along. The taller skeleton gave a peace sign before standing up and walking to the door. "Don't worry kid! I'll be back in a few hours t'get ya, just think about it okay?" After that, the door closed.
Ah thank Heavens, he was really proud of him!! For some odd reason, Sand had a feeling that he would have been freaked out by it like other kids would probably react. But he applauded him!... It felt so great.
He gave a small playful bow, but made sure not to bend too low so the chain wouldn't pull him. Hearing more of his words, he nodded. Papyrus was the coolest person he'd ever met!! Without thinking, he said something about him being the 'coolest', but realizing he was still muffled. Getting a soft frown, but lifting his cheek bones to give a look of false happiness.
As soon as he told him to listen, his eyes and ears were all on him... Pf, you know what I mean... Commitment, well if he needed commitment, he had LOTS of it! But as he kept talking, his eyes widened... 'Have to'... Was he kidding him right now? That was like the DREAM! He was well behaved anyways, even polite after experiments made him sore. But if he could be at his side all of the time... He would do anything for that chance.
He felt his soul flutter when he was called something like a 'brother'... He'd never gotten close to anyone, and the one person he trusted wanted to be siblings?... Someone pinch his bones! He gave a few excited hops before hearing the door open. Going still and silent as a professor told him they had to leave. It was time already?... It barely felt like three minutes...
His eyes fell soft as he got up, Papyrus seemed to catch his emotion in his eyes. Quickly reassuring him that he'd be back soon, very soon, he wouldn't have to wait a whole few days!! The thinking about it part must have been a joke... Because Sans already made up his mind when he mentioned it. He would definitely do it! Shaking his head a bit as a means of a wave, giving him some last gentle happy eyes before the door was shut. And the lights were turned off once again...
And then his eyes were back to wide, wide as an owl. It was strange... When things were dark like this, it was easier for his eyes to take in. So they ended up subconsciously wide, all the time. Like how nocturnal predators have them up... But he was no predator. It was just an odd thing he did, that's all.
His eyes dimly glowed white and light blue. Looking at his chained shoes as he started to drift off into a daydream... Of being with Papyrus, going to Muffet's, which he always imagined as a big muffin building. Of playing around outside and having his own action figures to play with... Aw... That was the dream... He slowly thought as he drifted to sleep with his own little invisible smile.
Papyrus looked through the glass window that showed the dark room that Sans was in, but yet Sans couldn't see them. It was pitiful just to see that poor kid all alone and chained up, something about him just made his whole soul ache and just pound with excitement each time he saw a glimpse of happiness from thoughs eye sockets. He turned his gaze to the doctors who were talking and back to Sans, it was sad that he had to stay in the dark room. He looked around before going over and grabbing a small light bulb and a little charger plug let thing, trying to atleast combine the two with a type of magic he could atleast have. He smiled softly once that was done with and looked at the doctors who left the room and said he was a loud to stay for a few more minutes until they returned but wasn't aloud in the room. Screw them. He opened the door quietly and walked into the room, his right eye lightly glowed orange as he moved in, closing the door behind him, as he walked a streak of hued color-orange followed behind him.
Kneeling down by a slightly far outlet by the cage, he stuck in the plug and let a little light into the room, there- it was better then being in the complete dark. He looked over at the sleeping Sans before moving over to the cage and reaching his hand through the bars, carefully placing his boney fingers ontop of the small skeletons head and giving his skull a little rub. Hey the kid needed some type of affection right? And the doctors weren't there to see. He moved his hand away before walking back out of the room and closing the door once again as he left. It was sad to leave the second time and without Sans even knowing. Pressing his back against the door, a soft sigh left him, his gazing turning to the female doctor who came in, giving a rather horrific look.
"Papyrus. . We know you were talking about.. Taking care of Sans? Yes?" The woman asked before he gave a nod. "Well, we want you to.. Um.. Atleast try and tame him for now in a separate room, we want to see how you both get along freely. We can't just have someone like.. Him freely roam around the world just yet, not until we know he's secure with someone.. Like you." With that she took in a shaky breath and atleast tried to smile.
Papyrus' eyes widened up before quickly looking through the window at Sans, was he really going to get to finally talk with Sans without the muzzle and see him freely roam around without chains? He felt his whole skeleton figure just shiver before looking at her. "Really? Your letting a cool dude like me take care of the lil' guy? Well.. I will take on that offer." With that, the woman handed him a key. "Take this key. I will open another door from within that room that leads to his.. 'Free Roaming' room." Papyrus nodded and watched the lights turn on in the room before he walked back in. "Hey, kid! Wakey wakey! Bones are all shaky!" He chuckled and walked over to the cage, opening it up with the key.
Something soothing washed over him during his nap. Like something watching over him, but he didn't know where the source came from...
But, he had awoken sooner than he'd thought. Lightly blinking as a warm voice waked him with a playful tone. Until snapping awake when the cage was opened. Also being freed from the heavy chains that kept him down... He felt really light after they clunked off. And it felt good to have his arms free. Relief filled his body as his arms slinked onto the floor for a second. Before slowly getting himself up, though it was hard. Since his roam schedule was a lot later than usual today... His legs felt a bit like noodles. None the less, he walked out with Papyrus. Almost tripping before he'd caught him. Giving a squiggly smile and nodding.
With a soft beep, the other door was opened, and they walked into it.
This room was a lot brighter than the previous, the walls a cream color instead of grey. It was relaxing and it had a table and two chairs. In a soft mint green color. They wouldn't dare to put a hint of red in there, for fear of aggression.
Sans gave out a tired yawn as he stretched his arms behind his head... Boy, he had some REALLY pointy teeth, like crocodile sharp... But it was actually kind of cute, it's not like he'd ever bite anyone. Though that's some of the scientists' fear of him besides the whole magic thing.
It was kind of odd to stand together and not sitting down in a dim place. But it was great to have somebody else with him in the roam room.
He was quiet for a few moments before giving a small shy closed smile. Tweetling his thumbs for a few seconds before trying to say something.
"u-uh, ahem... HELLO P-PAPYRUS!... D... DID I say that right?..." His voice was a tad shaky, but that was expected from not talking to anyone but yourself for a long time. And he hadn't exactly said his name aloud before, but he always thought of it. Still the sentence was weird, and Sans heard how weird it sounded. Half of it was very quiet, and half of it was not exactly an inside voice... He was just really happy to be so close to him, instead of at least three feet away. "... HOW... are you?" He tried giving a small smile, but he felt how exposed his mouth and teeth felt.. Quickly closing it to just a mouth smile hoping he didn't see the gesture.
Watching the small Skeleton continue his nap, Papyrus only started to unlock and pill of chains off the kid, moving them aside with a rather angered look. Although it quickly turned back to a calm one atleast. The hearing of the door already being opened and the bright light they shined in was just wow. He stood up and placed the key aside after getting the muzzle off of Sans, how cute. He tilted his head slightly once the male started to awake, looking at his teeth they were surely- sharp, though the kid was like a harmless bug. He moved out of the cage and to the door that was opened for them both, going ahead inside and letting the small skeleton follow along, having the door behind them automatically shut.
Giving a soft yawn, he placed his hands into his pockets as he looked at Sans from the corner of his sockets. Really he was short, a little chubby, yet adorable to get a glimpse at. He chuckled to himself once Sans started to speak aloud, though he was quiet, he could hear every word, thus his attention just staying on him.
Those teeth sure were a part of such a personality. "Mh, y'got that right Kiddo, Papyrus is my name, Sans." With gently nudged him and placed a hand against the small ones head. "I'm cool like always kiddo, cooler then the whole universe could be." He closed his left eye and opened it as if winking. "What about you kid? You feelin' okay?" He said before moving over to one of the chair and plopping down, kicking his feet up on the round table, giving a soft yawn. "Nh, doctor said if you be good in here I can take y'home." He looked back at Sans and gave a smile. "Doesn't seem like you'd be much of a hassle. C'mon smile! Y'look good when you smile, the teeth fit you." He said, leaning his arms back and over the chair. "Don't be shy. I ain't gonna bite ya."
He was a lot taller when he stood up... I guess he just noticed that now since this is the first time they'd ever stood together... Or talked voice to voice. Seriously, gestures without your hands is not fun.
It was really nice to be able to talk to him, even if his voice wasn't the best. It was almost magical how he could say something and he would respond... Actually respond something calming and nice... Silence wasn't fun for him, either.
"HEHE... you're the coolest!" He said, taking in the affection of getting a nudge and a rub. Watching him sit over at the table with his legs up. "OH, I'M FEELING GOOD!..." Well it was the truth, since Papyrus was here. But it came out half-hearted...
Figuring he should, he sat down across from him on the plastic chair. He hadn't had real social talking like this in forever... It was almost like he was numbed until now.
He wanted to just talk to him. Just talk forever if he could and even just talk about the stupidest things they could think of. But he also wanted to ask so much, he wanted to follow him to the end of the world. He wanted to tell him how much he appreciates him and how much he loves him. How cool he is and how he wants to be a lot like him. Tell him his secrets and just do nothing but talk... But not right now. It was uneasy to know a few adults were keeping a keen eye and ear on the two. He didn't want them hearing any of his thoughts, just Papyrus. He didn't trust anybody else, he was scared of everyone else but him. And it was the same way around, Papyrus was the only one not scared of him... So he just stayed quiet and polite. Linking his fingers together and stretching his stubby legs under the table.
It was so refreshing to have someone fill in the second chair, it was always empty...
Popping out of his thoughts, he heard him speak once more. He... Talked about his smile, he wanted to see those teeth? They really did look nice?... His cheeks went a bit blue as the edges of his mouth squiggled up. I guess he did that when he was embarrassed or flattered. Slowly growing a cheery toothy smile... More natural, and very exaggerated.
"UH, SORRY!... I KNOW YOU WON'T BITE ME!... you're too nice!" He said, man his sentences sounded so awkward. Really weird compared to his cool demeanor and the way he spoke.
"SO UH... what kind of place do you live in? IS IT GRASSY, OR COLD? OR MAYBE EVEN... HOT?" He asked curiously, tilting his head a bit. Having a weird urge to sit upside down on the chair... But would that be good behavior? What if he did it and ruined his only chance of finally being with his... Brother?... He couldn't have that happening. So he kept his posture neat and his back bone straight.
Lightly Papyrus snapped his fingers to a soft song he hummed under his breath, giving a little nod of his head, his mind kinda wondering off somewhere else. It was nice to atleast see the kid loosening up when he was around, not so dangerous now was he scientist? If only people knew how to get along without judging a book by its cover, that would make everything so much better, wouldn't it? Yeah.. He stopped snapping is fingers before looking at him and giving a gentle laugh.
"I'm glad you're feeling good kid, don't need my lil' bro bone to be upset, now would I?" He asked and gave a soft chuckle, what a adorable little shit this small skeleton could be, it was just.. Interesting, and he wants to know more about him, thus he would if he got to take him home. Take care of him, carefully listen to what he had to say, let him sleep in a real bed and not on a hard cold floor. He slowly moved his legs off the table and sat them on the floor, placing his elbow on the table and his head into the palm of his hand.
He wanted a trust that he could keep with Sans, a bond, a connection, anything you put say that would keep them close together. They already had such a connection, but he wanted Sans to be comfortable and not so shy, more so out going and excited, seemingly like he was right now- but 10 times more. He watched Sans closely with half lidded eyes, it was funny to see such a short Skeleton to want to be around Papyrus- then again he was the coolest in all the land.
He chuckled to his own thoughts and shook his head before leaning back and folded his arms, who was Sans? What did he want? What did he need? He needed someone by his side for the rest of his life..
Seeing a blush across the other skulled face made him just grin and start to softly laugh at him. Now how cute was that? Already had the small skeleton blushing already just because he said he liked his smile. Well he did, and he had many charms that he liked about Sans, come on, who wouldn't like the kid? Adorable little thing.. He was glad to even say they were brothers and he would continue on to say that for the rest of his life.
"Hm? It's pretty cold so to say, they call it Snowdin for a reason, snow's everywhere." He rolled his white pupils to the side before looking back at him. "But hey, I'm sure you'd survive like I have, no need to worry kiddo. "
He wondered what he could have possibly been humming to... It sounded like an interesting song, it had been so long since he'd heard music besides the once in a blue moon elevator music. He might have to ask Papyrus about the tune later... If he could remember the incoherent snapping.
After asking the question, he swung his legs a bit... It was nice to have his legs dangle instead of lay on the ground. Blinking as he heard the name 'Snowdin'. What an odd name! It sounded really nice though... Wait a second... His facial expression went to deep thought as he winked down his right eye. Left eye looking up as he tapped his chin... OHHH!
With realization and excitement, his eyes glistened as he turned to look at him. "DOES THAT MEAN YOU GET... 'SNOWED IN' A LOT?? mwEHEHEHEHE!" That was so clever, he thought. It was the most genius thing he'd have to think of, he was proud of himself for that! Lightly holding his cheeks as he gave an odd fit of laughter. His soft shoes swishing a bit.
"i've never seen snow, but i think it's nice!" He admitted, going weirdly quiet again... It didn't feel right for him to have a small voice like that. But his voice box needed rest from all that laughter huh?
He hadn't actually ever BEEN outside before... Just outside the lab once to play kickball with the other experimental children, but just once. He had seen books about different types of areas... And honesty, snow seemed the coolest because there is stuff falling from the sky!!
"do you make snowmen a lot?... i always wondered where they get coal--..." He suddenly got really silent. Looking down at his hands before he slyly eyed the big cameras... Not wanting to talk too much with their presences. It was almost like they weren't even there before he remembered... This was observational.
Papyrus closed his eyes giving a little yawn to himself, it was already that time again where his so called 'lazy bones' kicked in at the time. It usually happened in the middle of the day and surely he hoped he wouldn't fall asleep in front of the kid, damned scientist making him the way he was.
He reopened his eyes and gave a little tilt of his head, something seemed to have caught Sans' attention to the point where his expression seemed to glistened up Ina rather excited mood, that was until the burst of a joke just quickly left through the others mouth, which started to make him chuckle and then softly laugh. "Good one kid!" He grinned and clapped his hands. "I'll give your little bones a certificate of coolness on that joke, it was very humerus~" He winked at him and softly laughed under his breath; man what humor this kid actually had huh? He was something else, something he could hold dearly to like a trophy.
Watching him have that fit of laughter just brought joy to shine through his own sockets, now watching someone like Sans laugh like that was admirable, interesting, and yet so spirit warming. He liked the kid more so then he would any other. "Eh? Snow? It's alright kid.. Not something I usually play in at my age."
He knew the small skeleton wouldn't have gone outside, not with the state he was in and because the doctors wouldn't let him out, always keeping the poor thing locked up inside and barley giving him time to be free. He narrowed his eyes and turned his gaze away, giving a rather soft huff under his breath. It was irritating and selfish, it was heart breaking and just out of context. He shook his head and looked back at Sans, giving a soft expression. "Coal?.. Pft.. Kid you put the coal on them." He simply said shrugged. "Like, rocks, pebbles. Hell, maybe I'll let y'build a super cool one when we get outta here?" He said.
Noticing the sudden change of attitude the male gave off, it was a little upsetting, now what could be the matter this time? He finally got to roam around freely, and got to talk to someone he was comfortable with, what was the-
He paused and turned his head to the cameras and then to the large window that showed their reflection, giving a little narrow of his eyes and a soft sigh and moved from his chair and grabbed it. Pulling it over to Sans and sitting back down in it the opposite way with the back of the chair facing his ribs. He moved a hand and gently tilted the kids head up. "Hey, c'mon.. I'm sure they don't care what you're sayin' now, besides Y'got me in here kid. If y'want I can take those cameras out for ya in a heart beat." He said in a quiet whisper, folding his arms on the back of the chair and laying his head down on his arms.
After hearing some noises from the chair moving, his chin was lightly tilted to look at Papyrus. Him reassuring in a low voice, especially about the camera part.
That's when, Sans knew, his big brother was his entire Oᖇᒪᗪ.
He knew he cared for him, but now he could see how much. Looking directly in his own sockets to see his soul. His love, acceptance, and drive to give him a better life. Getting a sense that he'd let him follow him to the end of the Earth with a smile. He was so relaxed because he knew that they would be happy eventually, that and to fill up his hope again. He'd almost given up on everything, really almost turning into the monster they called him before he came... And reminded him on who he truly was.
He gave a soft hiccup. Eyes shaking a bit as his arms quivered. All of his sense of empathy overwhelmed his emotions... And so he did what he wanted to do for months.
He hugged him... Even if it was a little awkward since Pap had his arms rested on the chair... It was never the less a full hearted hug. Automatically resting his head on his shoulder and starting to... Weep. Face extremely blue as water with hints of blue magic plopped out of his sockets.
He wanted to know Papyrus more besides being cool with equally as cool jokes... He wanted to know his favorite food, activities, things to do... And maybe if he could learn, he could cook his favorite food everyday for him. He was completely willing to do anything because he meant everything to him. Because without him, he wouldn't be anything.
Maybe the dreams would become reality... Visions of pure happiness would come true with the both of them side by side... Talking, running, playing, napping... That's all he ever wanted...
Getting a twinge from his own thoughts, he lightly held Papyrus tighter. He was the light to his darkness, the raise to his low... He was key to happiness and freedom.
After a few minutes, a light beeping noise went off. The roam room's door opening and... From the cage room, the two could see the main door opening, the door where Papyrus left from... Did this mean the scientists were...