Nobody Home

Rick felt his eyes begin to water, hot, fat tears dribbling from his face. "How d–dare you..." Rick began to tremble, teeth chattering once again. "David is not rotting in hell and I know that for a fact. He was not a spawn of Satan that you might assume or believe now, either.

He was an angel—a hero. He was the most important thing in my life and you took it away from me in the blink of an eye. I can't function knowing he's dead and how he can never ever return, no matter how many wishes I make. How cruel can you be, Mister Waters?" Rick demanded for a valid, logical answer.

"How malicious can you be to kill the person I love the most and witnessing how mentally unstable I currently am? Constantly getting urges to harm myself, refusing to eat or sleep, and even holding onto articles that once belonged to David for some kind of morale boost that someway, somehow could bring him back but obviously cannot and could not. Then you just invade my bloody privacy making me more nervous and afraid of the outside world." Roger did not respond; his only answer was simply a scowl. Rick quickly made eye contact with the Piper. "How could you?" Rick hollered, his voice shaky and face stained with tears.

"How could you let this happen, Syd? I thought you were trying to help me. I–I thought you didn't want Roger in your sanctuary for as long as you lived." The leader of the sanctuary's mouth gaped slightly, shame shining dully in his eyes. He too, in fact, was afraid of Roger. In this situation, he was seemingly put at gunpoint.

"I thought you assured me I wouldn't see Roger ever again or be forced to confront him. What the hell are you doing?" There was a quarter of a minute moment of silence.

"Can't you see that I'm a basket case enough already?"

Syd lowered his head in genuine sadness and failure. Speechless to talk, his eyes illustrated his grief and guilt. "Can't you see that everything that I had vague optimism for, is now eradicated?" Rick said, abruptly ending his outburst. I might as well throw in the towel and kiss my life goodbye, he thought.

"Shut your trap, Wright." Roger ordered. "I'm taking you to the infirmary. The doctor is waiting." Roger dragged Rick out of his room, with an ashamed Syd trailing behind. Rick's callout of his wrongful decision left a pit in his stomach, wondering if he would ever be forgiven or trusted again. The three men made it out of Rick's home, the front door loudly closing shut. The sun began to rise, drawing the stressful, eventful night to a close.