"Activating communications encryption protocol."

My eyes flicked around the car console. It talked! Well, then. I hid my smile. I'm gonna call you Keith.

S.H.I.E.L.D. was getting more technologically advanced by the year. So why did that make me worried? Very worried?

"Open secure line 0405," Fury commanded.

"Confirmed," the car replied.

On his side of the windshield, in the upper corner, Agent Hill's face appeared. "This is Hill."

"I need you here in D.C," Fury ordered. "Deep shadow conditions."

"Give me four hours."

"You have three. Over."

I turned to him and frowned. "What's going on?"

"In good time, Andi."

"Now's a good time."

He didn't answer. He was hiding something. Well, no, he was always hiding something. But this felt like a big something.

We rolled up to a red light. A cop car stopped on my right. The officers inside turned to me in unison, glasses hiding their eyes.

Fury leaned forward to look at them in curiosity. "Want to see my lease?"

I squinted at them. Something was wrong. I could feel it. The air was thick with tension. My heart quickened. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I gripped my watch. This was not going to end well.

The cops turned their siren on before driving off. We drove off too. And, out of nowhere, a car slammed into us on Nick's side. The air bags exploded. My face hit it, and then wacked the headrest. I was too dazed to comprehend what was happening as another cop car reversed into the front of us, another rammed us from behind, and one more smashed into my side.

I reached my arm over to rest on Fury's chest. "You okay?"

"Fracture detected," Keith the car announced.

A nice welt had formed on his cheekbone combined with a fractured arm. "Glove compartment," he wheezed.

"Recommend anaesthetic injection," Keith suggested.

I ripped open the glove compartment and snatched an anaesthetic stick. I jabbed it into the bicep of his injured arm, and he sighed in relief.

I scanned my surroundings. Armed soldiers and police officers exited vehicles, weapons raised, and advanced towards our car.

I'll admit that I wanted to say "I told you so", but now was definitely not the right time.

"D.C. Metro Police dispatch shows no units in this area," Keith reported.

I turned to Fury. "What do we do?"

"Get us out of here," he growled to Keith.

And then our attackers opened fired. If Keith wasn't bulletproof we would've become tenderised meat with holes. Bullets riddled the flanks and windows, cracks spreading like spider webs on the glass.

A diagram of the car appeared on the windscreen. "Propulsion systems offline," Keith said. We weren't jumping out of this.

"Then reboot, damn it!" Fury roared.

Keith's armour was failing the more we were fired upon. We couldn't stay much longer. We needed to move. Now!

I shrunk down in my seat. I mean, I could try to portal us out. But we were in too small a space to do it. I could portal the car with us in it, but we'd have to be moving.