"Hey, Shayla, in exactly twenty-four hours, this town will be in our mirrors."

"Thank god! We're high school graduates, and we're twenty-four hours away from beginning our new lives!"

"Just you, me and Connor. Don't have to worry about anybody judging us, or picking fights with us. Everybody we ever known will be just a distant memory."

"Hell yeah."

After another ten minutes of talking about the move, I was parked in front of Shayla's house. Tiny little place she lived in, it was. Looked pretty much like a farm house, but she spent more time out in the barn than she did inside the actual house. I wouldn't blame her. I probably would too if I had to share my house with four other siblings. Younger siblings to be exact.

My parents split up when I was little, and three of my siblings are scattered across the state of Alabama. The fourth one is probably rearranging my boxes. Sadly enough, he's the only one of us who I actually get along with, and he's in middle school with my sister while the other two are in elementary school and daycare.Not only am I the reason I don't have a dad, but I'm also the oldest. I got four young minds who I'm suppose to give advice to and teach them right from wrong. That didn't exactly work because I'm the complete opposite of the other four, and I only somewhat pay attention to two of them.

"Come on, Shayla! Dad wants to do something for you before you have to leave!" one of her brother's shouted from the living room window. "Hey, Piper!"

"Is it bad that in the five years we've been best friends, I still have no idea which brother that is?"

"I don't even know, and I live with him," she got out of the truck. "You takin' everything over to Connor?"

"Yeah. I'm headin' there after this."

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Later, Shaylar," I used my nickname for her.

I threw my truck into drive, and headed for Connor's place. It wasn't too far, but it sure was down the road a piece. Like Shayla, he lived in a farm house too but smaller. Of course he had a smaller family, but that's besides the point. His barn was also a garage instead of an actual barn that was full of hay and sheet music all over the walls and four guitars hanging from the rafters. No, siree, there was a pickup hanging out in his barn, along with several tool boxes all over the place.

Knowing the village fool that I consider my big brother, he was probably hanging from the second floor of his garage. Most likely by his feet in his underwear. In case you're probably wondering, I call him the village fool because of all the weird things she does.

His step-daddy was probably out in the woods, setting up a trap for something he done been trying to catch for quite a few weeks. Probably that genius chicken that likes to get into the screws. Either that, or that idiot possum that's missing an eye, most of his teeth, and half of his tail. I know he finally won his war with the rabbit who sleeps in the cornfield. I could see his mama cooking it up in the kitchen as I pulled into the driveway.

"Howdy, Piper," Farmer Dale tipped his hat at me.

"How y'all doin' today, sir?"

"Oh, I think today's the day I'm gonna catch this little asshead."

"I think you should start by turnin' around, sir."

Farmer Dale made some weird noise he always makes when he tries to fight with his dinner. Before I knew it, he was chasin' the possum around the property. I guess that answers my riddle. Of course that's when I shake my head and just walk inside.

Period of Adjustmentजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें