"Came to pick up some things before we leave tomorrow."

"You two goin' on a trip?"

"Uh, no. We're moving to North Carolina with Connor."

"So, after tomorrow, there'll be no chance of me seeing you again?" I shrugged again.

"Guess not."

"Do you mind if I walk around with you and Shayla?" he leaned against a shelf.

"Sure." I turned back to Shayla with Brenton closely at my heels.

"Just let him walk with us." I whispered to Shayla.

"Hi, Shayla."

"Hey, Brenton."

Brenton and Shayla never exactly got along. Well, it was more like Shayla didn't care for him. He didn't really like her. Reason behind that is I cheated on Brenton with Shayla the first time around. Don't ask how or why I did. I have absolutely no idea.

"So, what do we need?" Shayla asked me.

"Hang on a second," I pulled a strip of paper out of my pocket, and a pen out of my boot. "Uh, gum, fireworks, a lighter, ranch dressing, hot sauce, car chargers, ground beef, couple cases of Monster, NOS, candy and a Rubik's cube.'

"What the fuck are the fireworks, lighter and Rubik's cube for?"

"Fireworks and lighter are for your boyfriend."

"He would ask for those."

"And the Rubik's cube for you."

"So, what's the ranch dressing and hot sauce for?" Brenton asked.

"Piper food."

"Her travel food box is full of burgers and fries." Shayla explained.

"And chicken wings."

"You're gonna eat chicken wings cold?" Brenton raised an eyebrow at me.

"Hey, I like my burgers raw, my fries frozen, and my wings cold." I said in my southern accent. "Anyway, start walkin'. We got stuff we need to get."

After an hour of shopping and practically destroying the store by moving everything to different shelves, bouncing balls around the store, riding bikes and bugging the other customers and employees, Shayla and I were loading everything into the bed of my truck. Brenton couldn't help but laugh at all the chaos we caused. Shayla and I had a habit of doing that. With or without Connor, but usually with since he always joined in on the fun.

"I'll be in the truck," Shayla told me.

"Sure thing," she shut the passenger side door, and I turned to face Brenton.

"So, this is really gonna be the last time I see you?"

"Pretty much, but it doesn't have to be. I'll be popping in and out of town every now and again. You can come visit me in North Carolina. All you have to do is ask. But it'll probably be a while."

"Can you come by tonight? Hang out one last time before you drop of the grid?"

"Sure. I'll drop Shayla off, deliver Connor's order, and I'll circle back around."

"Okay," I got in my truck.

"I'll see you later?"

"Definitely."

How did I see this coming? My last night in town, and my ex wants to see me before I leave. Sounds like the part of the story where the girl gets knocked up because the boyfriend will do anything to make sure she stays, right? Well, it goes something somewhere along the lines of that's not going to happen.