"A room? For me too.. stay in? But I don't understand.."

"King Pierce, I mean His Majesty, said that he will explain later. Now, you must come with me." She smiled.

Rose found herself absentmindedly staring at all the grand decor and portraits in the hallways while following the maid.

The maid opened a door that was on the right side of the hallway and led her in.

Rose gasped. She hasn't seen anything like it. The bed had lush,

beautifully decorated pillows that was on a mahogany bedspread. The curtains were delicately swooped on the sides of the two windows; revealing a breathtaking view of the surrounding land. In the corner of the room was a grand fireplace, with a fire already crackling.

The room also had a full bathroom with a tub and a wash basin.

Not really knowing what to do, Rose sat on the settee and stared at the grandness around her.

Suddenly, Rose heard a knock on the door. Unsure of how to answer the door, she just said to come in.

Pierce, King Pierce, entered the room. He saw her and went to go sit on the settee with her.

Rose got a long look at King Pierce for the first time, just really noticing what he looked like. He had a muscular build, with dark hair, and dark, handsome features. His eyes were a ember brown color that seemed to lock with her own.

Feeling awkward, she looked at the ground.

Him also looking awkward, he spoke up.

"So, I see you've settled in your room. Umm.. How do you like it here?" He stared at her, waiting for her reply.

"It's a very grand room, your highness. Too grand for my kind. Sorry for sounding unappreciative, but I am thankful for your hospitality your majesty."

The king laughed full heartedly.

"Please, none of the titles. You can call me Pierce. And I think not of you being unappreciative; if I was in your circumstance, I would be more than appalled and confused."

Rose felt a little more comfortable in front of the king since his saying this, but she felt strange being under the King's scrutiny.

Not receiving a reply from Rose, King Pierce decided to try and strike up a conversation.

"So, tell me about yourself."

"Like what about myself?"

King Pierce noticed her uncomfortableness and changed to a lighthearted tone.

"Your childhood, your town, family, what you fancy, what you loathe; you know, the usual."

Rose looked more sad than uncomfortable.

"I don't want to bother you with my past; you'll think I want you to feel bad for me," Rose said, not making eye contact.

"I wouldn't think that at all about your past. You can tell me." He had a compassionate look about him.

"Well, I was abused as a child by my parents, and ignored. I am one out of 8 brothers and sisters. My dad is a gambler and gambled away much of our stuff.."

Rose's throat was clogging up with tears, and her eyes were getting watery.

Pierce saw this and took her hand in his. She was startled, but after he looked at her, she relaxed.

Him being curios about her past, he urged her to go on.

"Well, yesterday, I overheard my father telling my mother that he was in debt again, but didn't have any way to pay the debt. He was in debt to the bartender. And, .."

She chocked back more tears and continued.

"And, he decided to, to give the bartender me, to marry."

Pierce raised his eyebrows at this, and felt sorry for her.

"He also said that I wasn't useful to them anyway, and.. And I decided to run away. So I did. Last night."

Pierce was even more surprised.

"Wait, where did you go when you ran away? Where did you sleep?"

Rose looked at the ground.

"I, I slept in an alley. On the ground."

"You jest? Did you really? You could've gotten sick, and there are dangerous people out there."

"I don't have anywhere to go. And I was aware of that, and I was scared."

Pierce studied her weary, scared face. He wish he could wipe away her tears.

He could, but it would make her more scared. Pierce wanted her to trust him.

"Do you have any family? Anywhere to go? I can get a carriage to escort you anywhere you need."

Pierce really didn't want her to leave the castle, but didn't want to keep her from where she would be comfortable with family.

" I have an aunt, but I don't know where she lives. Other than that, I have no place to go."

Secretly feeling happy that she wasn't leaving anytime soon, he put on a hopeful smile.

"You're gonna stay here. At the castle."

"I am? Bu.. But, I don't want to impose, and I'm too low class for being in the castle."

"Nonsense. You WILL stay here. That's a command. I, I'm worried for you. And you look too pretty to be low class. I will have a seamstress come up tomorrow and, do whatever they do. She's the best one in the kingdom."

He smiled and gave her hand a squeeze.

It warmed her heart.

Now, lets go get you something to eat. You are awfully skinny," he half teased.

VOTE COMMENT SHARE:)