25. A Turn for the Worse

Start from the beginning

I could feel him shuffling, trying to find a comfortable position. Once he was still, I uncovered my face and stared at him. He was sleeping with his back to me. I tried to be silent as I got up to give him a peck on the cheek. "I love you too," I whispered. He didn't open his eyes but I saw him smile.

.

.

I woke up in the middle of the night having to go to the bathroom. Harry was snoring softly and I had to carefully move his arm off me. Luckily he didn't wake up. I stood up and crept towards the bathroom. As I was washing my hands, I heard a soft beep from downstairs that sounded like it came from a phone. I walked down the stairs and turned on my phone to see that I had a missed call. I typed in my password and listened to the voicemail.

"Violet? Violet, are you there? It's Dr. Rosario. I--I need your help. He's here. He's outside my house. He's--" I could hear voices in the background and the dog's familiar bark. There was banging and then I heard his bloodcurdling shouts. The line went dead.

I was now wide awake. My hands were sweaty and shaky. This can only mean one thing. Zayn found him and he's in danger. I looked at the time the voicemail was received and saw that it was 10:34 PM. I glanced at the clock. It's 10:49 PM right now. There's a chance he's still alive. My heart dropped at the sudden realization that I was one hour away. By the time I get to him, I might be too late. But I don't care. I'd rather do something about it than nothing at all. I quickly grabbed my jacket and put it over my pajamas. I then frantically searched for Harry's keys. I found them lying on the coffee table and quickly ran out the door.

As I was starting the car, I knew it was crazy of me to be doing this on my own. I'm putting my own life in danger but one thing I don't have is time. Every minute and second counts. If I don't leave now, he could be dead. I quickly sped down the street hoping there were no cop cars around.

I sped down the freeway at 75 mph weaving in and out of traffic. I got honked at a few times but I didn't let that bother me. I was just glad there was no traffic right now. Once I got farther and farther away from the city, the road started to clear and I continued to press on the gas. I was 45 minutes into the trip when I reached the exit. The roads were dark but I managed to navigate my way down the foreign streets. My heart sank when I saw flashing police lights. This isn't a good sign at all.

I slowly pulled up to the crime scene. There were four police cars and an ambulance parked in the street. There was caution tape surrounding the whole house and police were all over the place talking to each other and taking notes. I parked on the side of the street, turned the engine off and just watched.

I saw two paramedics exit the house, quickly pushing a stretcher towards the ambulance. My heart stopped when I saw there was a body on the stretcher covered with a blanket. Without thinking, I got out of the car and made my way towards the stretcher. I was so focused on the stretcher I didn't realize I entered the crime scene.

"Excuse me ma'am, this is a crime scene. You can't enter the premises," a young man told me sternly.

"Is that him?" I asked, desperate for answers. "Is that him?" I kept walking towards the stretcher.

"Ma'am! Did you hear what I just said?" The man quickly grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "You do not have permission to enter. Who are you?"

"Don't tell me what to do," I snapped at him. "He's my uncle!" I felt guilty for lying but I had to do what I had to do to get closer. The man quickly let go of my arm.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. What's your name?"

"Violet," I simply replied.

"Last name?"

"Reed." I knew I shouldn't have given him my full name but I didn't care. I finally reached the stretcher. The two paramedics had just loaded the stretcher onto the ambulance and were about to close the door but I stopped them.

"Stop! Is it him? Is it Dr. Rosario? Is he dead?" I asked, breathless. They didn't answer but simply nodded, confirming my worst fear. He's dead. I'm too late. I looked around wildly for any signs of Zayn and his crew but couldn't find anyone. The fact that it was dark out wasn't helping and the blinding police lights weren't helping either. Concerned neighbors started to flood the streets, curious about what had just happened. They stood in groups and whispered to each other. Around me, police officers were giving orders to each other and taking notes. There were police officers quickly walking in and out of the house.

For a moment, time stood still. I stood still in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the crime scene. No one paid any attention to me. My mind was numb as I tried to process what had just happened. I saw a car pull up and a group of people quickly got out of the car and rushed up to the police. That must be his family. I was too late.

"Ma'am?" I was snapped out of the haze I was in. I turned to face him. "Are you Violet Reed?" Why is he asking me this? I already told him who I was. I simply nodded, annoyed at him. I quickly walked away from him, tired of his bothering me. He grabbed my arm again. "I'm sorry to tell you this but you are under arrest." My eyes widened at his words.

"Are you kidding me? You have the wrong person," I protested. The man quickly shackled my hands, and before I knew it, my hands were behind my back and I was being led towards a police car that had its door held open by a police officer.

I tried to fight being led to the police car but it was no use. The man pushed me forward and I was roughly shoved into the back seat of the car. The door closed behind me and the police officer that held the door open got into the driver's seat while the young man sat in the passenger seat.

"What is going on?" I asked angrily, shouting through the divider. "You have the wrong person! I didn't kill him! Let me go."

The young man turned around to face me. "You are a person of interest. Anything you say can and will be used against you." I was shocked. I can't believe they think I killed him. I angrily sat back in my seat, trying to get as far away from him as possible. I huffed and bit my tongue, trying to prevent myself from saying something that will only get me in more trouble.

The officer started the car and started driving away from the crime scene. The neighbors in the street watched me with disgust and hatred. I felt like a caged animal. They were whispering to each other and I knew they were talking about me. They think I killed him. I shrunk back in my seat, trying to ignore them. What the hell just happened?