Chapter 6: Uninvited Guest

Start from the beginning

Vegeta returned from his day-long business trip after dark, in an unusually good mood. Rather than unpacking, he decided that his first task upon returning home would be to feed Kakarot and the birds, and he enjoyed putting the meal together. But his efforts would go unappreciated that night: for once, Kakarot was uninterested in food.

As soon as the door shut behind him Kakarot swung down from the trees, slamming onto the ground in front of him with a violent thud. Vegeta was shocked to find that instead of his customary smiles and gentle welcomes, the saiyajin's face was contorted into a snarl of rage. Kakarot let out a low growl and slowly straightened, his powerful form tensed and towering in a uncharacteristically intimidating manner. With every hair bristled, he appeared even larger than normal. Vegeta could only stand like a statue and gape at his display. Faster than quicksilver, the saiyajin snatched up his wrist, his grip almost painfully tight.

:: Who was that woman?! ::

Vegeta's brain kicked back in. "Who– wha– what woman?"

:: The woman who intruded here this morning, and woke me from my sleep. Blue hair, blue eyes, pale skin. She was looking for you! ::

"Oh! Th-that must have been Buruma. Probably came here on her lunch break to nag me about those damn papers again–"

:: Who is she?! ::

"B... Buruma? Well, she's my wife. I've been trying to force her to come back to me, but she insists she's in love with that worthless Yamcha Rengetsu, she–"

Kakarot tossed his head in outrage, eyes wild. :: Keep her out of here! Keep her away! ::

Vegeta stared in wonder. Is this how saiyajin reacted to intruders? He had no idea Kakarot was so territorial. "Hey, look, I know Buruma's a spoiled pain in the ass, but she's nothing to get so worked up over."

:: Keep her out! Keep her away, or I'll take care of her myself! How dare she come here, when I've so clearly made my claim! ::

"Look, I'll just put a lock on the door to keep her out–"

:: I WANT HER TO STAY AWAY FROM WHAT'S MINE! ::

The saiyajin's fist slammed down like a pile driver, pulverizing a decorative rock to powder even as his eyes never left his companion. Vegeta jumped at the cracking and exploding sound and gawked in amazement.

"Holy shit!" he breathed. Before he had time to think anything else the saiyajin grabbed him by both arms and shoved him to the ground. For a moment Vegeta panicked as he felt the weight of the beast on top of him, and he squeezed his eyes shut, fearing the worst. Kakarot was going to kill him. The beast was going to tear him apart, he was going to break his neck, he was... nuzzling him? Vegeta regained enough of his faculties to peek up at him.

Brusquely, almost frantically, Kakarot not-so-gently butted heads, and rubbed and slid his head, face, and chin over Vegeta's head and face, and also his neck and shoulders. Vegeta winced in confusion. What in the world?

Kakarot had rubbed and nuzzled him like this many times before, but it was never so forceful, so needy. He sat stiffly in his grip, frozen, unsure of what was happening or what to do. Finally after several long swipes where the saiyajin pressed down especially hard, he pulled back and stared him down, those intense eyes full of meaning. Vegeta's wide-eyed gaze locked with his, and he received the distinct impression that Kakarot wanted to tell him something, but couldn't say it aloud.

Vegeta broke the gaze nervously and turned to the side, attempting to get up, and to his great relief Kakarot made no move to prevent him. He staggered over to the door and hurriedly brought the bundle of food over.