1: Pre-Hell with Matt the Devil

Start from the beginning

I will never wear white shirts ever freaking again.

"Haleson..."

My face was still burning as I ran back inside, not before receiving concerned and curious looks from the adults.

I slammed the door to my room, turned on my hair dryer and put it over my book, in attempt to dry it. I was tearing up. Damn, I cared so much for my books. I used to always say that whoever messes with them I will murder, and I was currently considering doing so.

"He's an idiot," I kept muttering. An idiot that got high ass grades.

Minutes later, I decided I'd open the window to let the wind dry my book itself and go change my clothes. I didn't want to get a cold.

I changed into a black shirt and jogging pants, and went downstairs, back to the backyard. I thought that it'd be rude to stay in my room while we still had guests. Even if I hated one of them.

I quietly sat down next to mom. They seemed to be in a deep conversation with the Evans, Matt included. I tuned out, not really interested.

I glanced at Matt, who was now dressed too (thankfully). He wore a white shirt, and jean shorts. His arms were crossed and I didn't realize he was looking at me until my eyes landed on his. I quickly looked away and gave an exasperated sigh.

"Mom, it's my final year at school, and I've been there for five years!" he spoke, an annoyed tone in his voice.

I curiously glanced at Natty, who looked like she was in the verge of giving up.

Oscar answered instead of her, "Matt, this school has been really good for your brother. He hasn't even entered his senior year and colleges already want him."

I sat up straighter. Now they've captured my attention. Matt's brother and his preppy school...

Matt snorted. "I don't want to be like him, dad."

Oscar frowned. "You'd do so well in his school, Matt. You could even be in the top spots of the batch."

"Wouldn't that mean I'd take away his crown?" Matt leaned forward and smirked. "He'd have me for competition in the top spot." At that, he glanced at me and chuckled.

Ah, I got it now. Natty and Oscar were both planning on sending Matt to Minerva Academy, Matt's older brother's school. Matt and his brother had a year age gap, yet Matt and I had a grade skip in middle school, so we're at the same grade as his brother is in. I've heard that his brother was the smartest in the academy. Matt apparently thought he could easily beat him. Cocky douche.

"The both of you would do well," Natty said. "And stop thinking of this as competition. It'd be good for the three of you. Minerva Academy is the best there is."

"That sounds like a recipe for disaster." Matt snorted.

I felt a bit of excitement, though. Would this mean I won't have to deal with Matt anymore?

Then I realized what Natty said. "Wait, the three of you? What do you mean by 'the three of you'?" I looked at my parents with wide eyes.

Mom broke out into a grin. "Surprise, honey! You're going to Minerva Academy!" she announced.

"What?" I gasped in shock. "But mom!"

"Told you," Matt muttered to his mother.

"I have my friends, the school paper, oh, who's gonna be editor-in-chief now? I can't let Drew run it, she'll turn it into a gossip magazine! And the Mathletes, who's gonna be team captain? May isn't exactly fit to be captain, she has problems with Geometry! And I'm one of the yearbook committee too, I had this cool idea-"

"Can you please shut up?" Matt sneered. "You just sound like you're boasting."

I gaped at him. "Look who's talking! Mister Oh-look-at-me-I'm-a-talented-fish!"

"At least I don't list down all the stuff I'm involved in, Miss Multi-purpose-broken-record!" he retorted.

"Oh, okay, Mister I'm-better-than-my-brother!" I mocked.

"Know-it-all."

"Book slayer!"

"Avery, Matthew." My dad calmly cut in.

Matt and I both shut up.

"For intelligent kids, you both could be immature at times," Natty said, frowning.

Mom sighed. "We're letting you both into Minerva Academy because it's going to be good for the both of you by the time you're applying for colleges. You're both very talented, and this school would further improve those talents. Besides, Luis is happy to guide you both in the academy."

At the sound of his brother's name, Matt groaned.

"You, Luis and three other boys are staying in one dorm," Natty told Matt.

Matt's ears turned red. "What? Why were we never told about this?"

"Yeah!" I said, frowning at them.

I was curious, though, if Luis still recognized me.

"I don't want to stay with Luis, nor do I want to stay with her even more! It's bad enough we're neighbors and classmates..." Matt murmured.

"And I don't want to be with you even more." I glared at him.

Mom sighed dramatically. "This is exactly why we never told you both."