"Tracy, I need your help." She says.

"With what?" She asked.

~

"Shh, be quiet." Valentina whispers as she guides Deontae to the front door.

"I can't see where the fuck I'm going." He said as he bumped into the wall.

They had been up talking for hours. It was almost three in the morning.

"Is that better?" Kathy asked as she flipped the light switch on and scared the hell out of them.

"Grandma, um, we, uh, it's not what you think," Valentina struggles to find the right words to explain.

"Ms. Kathy, it's my fault. I should've left hours ago." Deontae takes the blame.

"I know you were only talking. You two have a very strong friendship and vocabulary." She says; looking at Deontae who was smiling as she sat on the couch.

"You were listening to our conversation?" Valentina asked.

"Yes, and I know it must be exciting to finally get to meet your mother." She smiles.

"Grandma, you never really told us anything about your mother." Valentina says; the smile on Kathy immediately went away.

"I don't talk about my mother because I haven't spoken to her in forty years."

"Really? Why?" Valentina asked as she and Deontae sat down on the couch across from Kathy.

"I'd rather not talk about it." She hated talking about mother. It made her feel depressed all over again.

"Come on, you listened to us talk." Deontae says.

Kathy sighs as she starts to open up about everything that's happened in the past forty-five years.

"Well, Calvin's father, Clyde and I were very young when we fell in love." She starts off with a smile. "When our parents found out I was pregnant, they insisted that we get married because they didn't want their grand child to be born out of wedlock. We were only sixteen when we got married, I had already dropped out of school and my father found Clyde a good job."

Valentina and Deontae smiled as they listened to every word she said.

"Everything was supposed to be perfect but, when our first baby girl was born, she was a stillborn." Kathy says as she wiped her tears away. "I was so depressed. I kept thinking maybe if I would've did this or maybe I would've did that she'd be alive. The healing process was long but Clyde helped me through it." She smiles; even though Clyde passed away almost eight years ago, he was still able to put a smile on her face.

"A few months later, I found out I was pregnant again. Clyde and I were very excited. I felt like we had a second chance. When we found out it was gonna be another girl, I was uneasy about it at first but, I was just happy I got another chance." She says. "On our way to my baby shower, my mother was driving and we go into a car accident. I ended up losing our baby girl, for the second time. I felt so awful and I was so pissed at my mother." She says as she remembers how she felt the exact moment it happened.

"I felt like I couldn't do the one thing a woman should be able to do." She honestly says. "A little over a year later, I found out I was pregnant with Calvin. I used to get so mad when Clyde would go behind my back and take Calvin over to my mother's house." She sighs as she thinks of how rudely she acted. "Now you can understand why I've always been so overprotective with Calvin. It's not because I'm a crazy control freak, it's because he's all I have."

"Does Mr. L know?" Deontae asked.

"No. Clyde and I didn't know how to explain it to him." She says.