Part Four

Nathan and Alyssa walked in silence, her head tilted towards her phone screen as they walked, thumbs quickly and violently tapping the shattered screen, sniffling. Alyssa clicked the lock button, and straightened her neck as she attempted to wipe the stream of tears off of her face. Nathan stopped walking, and looked at her with questioning eyes. "Alyssa...?" He said. She stopped walking, and looked straight forward. He walked in front of her, looking at her tear stained face.
"He broke up with me." She whispered, eyes blank, with a tear rolling down her pale cheek. "He..." She said, that sentence. caught in her throat.
At that moment, Nathan's phone rang. He glanced at the screen, and quickly ignored the call. "Sorry, that was Stephanie. And I'm sorry about....Mark was it?"
Alyssa quickly looked up, eyes burning in rage, fists clenched. "Really? Really?!" She yelled, looking up. "At this moment, you mention Stephanie and you forgot his name? You really know how to comfort someone!" She said, this time to his face.
"I...I'm sorry. I didn't realize you liked him that much." He stammered.
"No! You don't deserve to feel sorry!" She said, just inches between there bodies. "I just told him I loved him! I loved him." She yelled, hitting his shoulder. "I...I love him." Alyssa said getting quieter, as tears began to fall as she collapsed to the ground in the fetal position against the cold fence.
Nathan slid down the fence, sitting next to her, stroking her hair, trying not to focus on her sobbing but the rhythm of her warm breath. Nathan reached his arm around her and pulled her in, trying to stop her shivering and whimpering.
They stayed like that for a bit, then Nathan got up and helped Alyssa up. "We should get out of the cold." He said, wiping a tear from her eye. She nodded, then walked two blocks together in silence to Nathan's house, hands close to interlocking.