"Oh, so you guys just moved back?"

"Yeah."

"Hey Noah, the guys are gonna head over to Gym now. You comin' man?" a boy with black hair asked him, interrupting our conversation.

"Oh, uh, yeah." He turned to me, "We'll catch up later, Kyle."

"Yeah, man."

We pounded fists and he left with the other guys. It was cool seeing him back. Maybe I wasn't going to be such a loser with no friends this year after all.

...

"They're back?"

"Yeah, Quaashie goes to LSU now."

"No fucking way! That was like his dream university."

I readjusted my cell phone between my shoulder and ear as I rummaged through my pant pockets to search for my house key.

"I know. Noah says he's doing great."

"That's good their dad's locked up though. I never thought I'd see the end of him."

"True story."

I finally got the door to open. I headed inside and slammed it behind me. I dropped my bag next to the couch and took a seat.

"So, they're staying there for good?"

"S'pose so. Noah said they got an apartment."

"That's awesome. I hope Quaashie and I could meet up again."

"Maybe he's got a Facebook."

"He probably does."

"Well, look man, I think I'm gonna head over to the hospital to stop by and see Gwen so I'll talk to you later."

"Oh, tell her I said hi for me, k?"

"Gotcha."

I took the phone from my shoulder and ear and hung up.

Heading towards my room, I grabbed a few bucks and cents to give to the bus driver. I hurried toward the bus stop, hoping I'd be able to catch it before the next one. Thank god, I made it. I gave the man his money and took a seat. In about thirty minutes, I was at the hospital.

I took the long way in order to annoy Jeann with my presence. Giving her a wave and a smirk, I received a grumble. I walked towards Gwen's room and stopped before opening the door. I wiped my mouth, feeling a little self-conscious for some reason and ran a hand through my hair. Might as well look presentable. I opened the door, only to be stopped by a few nurses and a standing Gwen.

"Woah, what's going on?"

Gwen's head jerked towards my voice and I could see a small smile appear on her face. "Kyle," she breathed.

"Hey-"

"Oh, sir, you need to wait outside, please."

"Why? What's going on?"

The nurse had brown hair and a slim figure. She had straight teeth and dark brown eyes.

Denise appeared in my vision. "Oh, no, it's okay. He's Gwen's friend."

"Are you sure?" the nurse asked.

"It's okay, Heidi." Denise assured, putting her hand on the woman's shoulder.

Heidi nodded then went back to help Gwen walk.

"Mrs. Conrad, what's going on?"

Denise gave me a genuine grin. "Gwen's coming home today."