Chapter 1

I sighed as Lauren came back with more books. I never thought that working in a book store could be exhausting, but after all this will pay my car and probably my own flat. I couldn't let my parents pay everything, and I didn't want to end up like Josh ౼ my brother, at 20, with no job and still living at my parents' house. I've been working here for now 2 months with Lauren, who's actually the owner of the store.

More and more books had been delivered and being the only employee, I had to reorganize the whole store and find place for all these books. This is going to be a long day, I thought, slightly disappointed not being able to enjoy the warm weather. Lauren left , telling me that she will be back tonight so that she can close the store. Fortunately, we almost never had much clients, so I could do my job without being interrupted all the time.

Struggling on my tiptoes to catch the last pile of books, I sighed and mumbled profanities. My height was sure not helping and I couldn't find something stable enough to climb in it. I was still trying to find a solution, when a little laugh made me jump. The tall guy took the books with no difficulty.

"Here," a husky voice murmured.

I couldn't believe that I didn't even hear him coming into the store.

"Thanks," I mumbled, placing the books on the small table next to me.

I glanced at the man, and was beyond surprised when I saw him properly. I can't tell if it's his nonchalant attitude, his lip ring or his tattooed ౼ and muscled arms that made me think he wasn't the kind of guy who reads a lot. Dressed in a black v-neck and skinny jeans in the same color and his hypnotizing green eyes staring at me, I couldn't help but think that he'd fit perfectly in Josh's "crew".

He cleared his throat and I finally spoke, "May I help you?"

"Yeah," the brown-haired guy handed me a paper, and I was even more surprised when I read Looking for Alaska  - John Green written. I smiled a little, finding it cute than maybe his aspect of bad boy was just an aspect, and nothing more. I felt a little stupid to judge him whereas I didn't know him at all, but there was something intriguing about him.

"It's for my sister," he spoke, as if he was reading in my mind, his raspy voice echoing in the store.

"Oh." oh.

"So," he said as he bent down on the counter, "May I ask why a pretty girl like you is working on a sunny day?"