Chapter One - Her father's eyes

So here I am writing another Daryl fan-fiction. I saw this picture of a little girl, and I just couldn't resist writing a story of him having a daughter. Let me know what you think c:

        The thing about nightmares is they're not supposed to be real, but this one is.

        It's always the same: I watch the dead come back to life and grab my little girl, and I see myself decapitating them with a shovel. It was all very terrifying, but there's those moments in life, the fight or flight response, and I fought. When you have more to lose than just yourself, the apocalypse has a funny way of threatening their lives instead of yours. That, or you just stop caring about your own well being. 

        "Momma, are you okay?" My five-year-old asks. I kiss her forehead, wrapping her in my arms. 

        "Yes sweetheart, mommy's fine. Go back to sleep." She scooted up to me on the bed to cradle her head in my lap. I wouldn't sleep for a while anyway, so I sat up indulging in her company. Stroking her hair, I hummed her lullaby. No words, just the sounds of my mother's piano.

        I was about to crawl next to her when there was a knock on our bedroom door. Three knocks, a pause, and then two more. Lucas? I thought I had already turned him away. Setting Baelee gently off my lap, I went to unlock the door. "Lucas I thought I told you not tonight." He furrowed his eyebrows together as if I'd hurt his feelings all over again.

        "Urm--no. There were survivors at the gate." This used to be a good thing; I wanted to help out all the people I could. Our good intentions caught up with us, though, and we paid for them gravely. Ever since that large scale raid, I've been a little less welcoming. I stepped outside of the room and closed the door behind me. 

        "Don't tell me you let them in." My voice was in a harsh whisper, in case he had brought them inside our house. 

        He sighed as he did before every argument we were about to have. "Eve, I had to." Crossing my arms, I brought my loose shirt closer to my body. Lucas was the man in the movies every girl dreamed of being with, the ridiculously good looking hero who swoops in and saves a mother and child from being eaten alive. I used to admire that in him, but now I see it as a weak link. It nearly cost my daughter, letting in those raiders, and I guess I never really forgave him for it. It's not fair of me to blame him; he only had good in his heart. But I do, and you can't love someone like that. 

        "No you didn't." I concluded. He was so kind, it was almost sickening. Maybe there was something wrong with me. I've always turned away the good guy and loved the wrong guy--the real bad boy type.

        He grabbed my hand, trying to reach out and touch something to convince me to love him like I used to. It was a wasted effort. "Evangelina.." My eyes narrowed; I hate the use of my full name. "..they have a pregnant woman." 

        Pregnant, now? I leaned against the door frame. I let out a sigh of defeat. "Well what choice do I have, being a mother myself." Lucas kissed my hand as if he needed that approval to feel good about his decision. Maybe women swooned over this sort of thing, but it wore on me. "Lucky for them the raid left a lot of houses vacant." I added, trying to sound as non judgemental as possible; the look in his eyes suggested I'd failed. It didn't matter. They were dead now. 

        I opened my bedroom door only to be stopped from entering it. The more I reject him, the more he craves my attention. "Kiss Bae goodnight for me." I only nodded as he went to his room down the hall. We used to share a room, the three of us snug and happy. Sometimes I miss that, the feeling of having a man in my life--a father for Baelee. Though he still fulfilled as an excellent father figure, he wasn't enough of the man I wanted. When he let those strangers in, and what they did, opened up a new wound for nightmares to crawl through. And I don't know how to look at him without seeing the man who let those monstrous people in.