Chapter One

I stand there awkwardly. Just staring at this gigantic house of beauty, and wonder why I hate it so much. I mean, normally I would love a house as gorgeous as this one. With it’s neatly aged white outer walls, and freshly swept wood wrap around porch, and the balcony supplying a beautiful view of the small white blanketed town of Flagstaff, Arizona. But all I feel toward this house is a longing wish to leave it. I just wish all of this is just some cruel joke my parents have planned for their own amusement. I angrily cross my arms over my chest in aggravation.

My mother crosses over into my view to carry in yet another packed box into the cursed house. Ever since the day I was thrown into this world I was raised in a beautiful place called Miami, Florida. Everything was great. My family was happy, I had great friends, and all was right in the world. That is, until my dad got a job offer he just couldn’t resist. and I was forced to leave Miami and move all the way to snowy Flagstaff.

Don’t get me wrong though, I love flagstaff. It’s absolutely beautiful, just not when I’m being forced to live there.

I feel a kind hand rest on my shoulder, and turn my head to see who it is. I see my father’s expectant face so close to mine. “You made me leave Miami. For this?” I sneer.

“You know you love it. You even get an entire story to yourself, dear.” He smiles thoughtfully. After thinking about it for a minute with my father’s warm breath against the skin of my neck I cave in.

“It’s just so... New. You know?” I sigh.

“To new beginnings, Love.” He replies. I nod and begin helping my mother with the rest of the boxes in the first moving truck.

And yes, I said first... Of many...

“I know you aren’t very happy with the new environment, but I’m hoping this gift will help you settle nicely.” My mother says, gently setting a box down onto the dining room floor. She pulls a golden envelope with a shiny silver bow on top out of her back pocket and hands it out to me. I take it from her nicely.

“What is it?” I ask, surveying the thin envelope in my hands.

“Well, open it and find out, Silly.” She giggles. I carefully break the seal of the thin gold envelope to find inside a single sheet of  folded white printer paper with a gold star on it. As soon as I see this paper with the gold star I begin to hyperventilate just a bit. This gold star can only indicate one thing. This gold star is my best friend’s signature star. A bright smile of excitement spreads across my face.

“Go on. Read it.” My mother insists. I quickly and carelessly unfold the paper and read what it says.

Come outside.

That is all the letter reads.

The bright smile that was once formed by my lips has now faded into a confused frown.

“Now, now. Obey the mysterious letter.” My mother insists.

As ordered, I begin to walk outside, and as I’m about to step out of the door I see a black ford F150 truck in front of my house with a beautiful girl with brunette hair and green eyes standing in front of it. “Hey there, Gal pal.” The girl smiles, slowly walking towards me.

Before she can even take a step I start screaming at the top of my lungs. “Oh my god! Aspen!” I scream, flying into her arms.

Aspen is my best friend since birth from Miami.

Wait a minute. What the hell is she doing here? I pull away from the suffocating hug. “Oh my god! What are you doing here? Why? How? Oh, screw it! I’m so glad you're here!” I ramble on aimlessly.