10: New life, new beginning?

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Hey Kathy, sorry to disturb you but I've only come here to - Oh my goodness! You look so pretty like this, Ronnie's a lucky guy!" Mrs. Shenoy squealed as soon as she turned around to look at her. Kathy laughed at her mother-in-laws reaction. 

"Why thank you Mrs. Shenoy!" Kathy said laughing and Ronnie stood up and looked over Kathy's shoulder and wondered why his mother was here at this time. 

"You can call me mom and news flash - You're Mrs. Shenoy too now!" Mrs. Shenoy said and Kathy looked flushed. She smiled at her awkwardly. 

"Yes uh-mom!" Kathy replied. 

"Ah darling, you promised that you two will try getting along!" Mrs. Shenoy complained and now Ronnie was irritated. 

"What do you want mom?" he asked her and Kathy raised her eye brows at him. 

"You can't talk to your mom like that!" Kathy said and Ronnie glared at her. 

"Shut up! What is it mom?" Ronnie asked her. 

"Umm yeah-Kathy you're supposed to get up early tomorrow and make a sweet dish for everyone, they say it's a ritual. Then you'll go to your parents’ house for a day and Ronnie will come to pick you up on the next day!" she explained it to both of them. 

"Why is she going if she has to come back again?" Ronnie asked getting pissed. 

"Do you have a problem with that? Why are you so irritating?" Kathy said. 

"Like I said, it's ritual and she'll go there and then you have to get her back the next day!" Mrs. Shenoy ordered Ronnie now. 

"Okay mom!" Kathy chirped and smiled. Mrs. Shenoy smiled back at her and started walking away but turned around once again. 

"Kathy one more thing, umm - Mr. Shenoy said he doesn't want a competition between you two in our office and since you cannot work with a rival company also.. How about you- umm change your field of work? Accompany me to all these charity events. I've seen you with those kids at orphanage and you were really nice with them!" she asked. Ronnie looked at her with a grim expression. Kathy thought about this, she didn't want to give up on her dreams but maybe Mrs. Shenoy was correct. Ronnie looked at Kathy, waiting for her decision and hoping that she wouldn't give in to his mom's demands completely. A smile broke out on Kathy's face and he focused all his attention on her. 

"I don't want to work at any of our outlets for the obvious reasons and I won't ever go and join hands with our rivals." Kathy said making Mrs. Shenoy smile proudly. Ronnie was slightly disappointed but her explanation was valid. 

"But I'm sorry; I cannot work with you either. All this money belongs to you. I don't want to attend those events, I don't want to donate money or help anyone else when I've not earned all this on my own. I'll figure out what I'll do next but I definitely cannot work with you for now!" Kathy said and Mrs. Shenoy nodded understanding and appreciating her daughter-in-law's reasoning. Ronnie was very impressed with the way she did not give in to his mother's demand completely and was very happy with her. He felt like jumping in the air and hugging Kathy for going against his mom. 

"Good night Kathy, good night Ronnie!" Mrs. Shenoy said and walked away. Kathy locked the door and turned around to see Ronnie smiling broadly. 

"What?" Kathy asked puzzled by his behavior. 

"That was an amazing answer. Thanks for going against her!" he smiled. 

"Huh? Why'd you want that?" Kathy asked not believing him. Ronnie's smile disappeared and his expressions hardened. He lay down on the bed and turned his face away from her. 

"You can sleep on the couch there. I'm neither sharing this bed with you nor letting you sleep on my bed. Good night!" Ronnie said as he turned off the lights. 

"You're impossible!" Kathy muttered and took away the comforter that Ronnie was using and slept on the couch. 

Next morning, she got up early and took bath, wore a sari and entered the kitchen. She thought about her options and then decided on making sheera for the sweet dish and some kanda poha, orange juice, tea and coffee (she did not know about people's choice so she made everything from juice to tea to coffee). Soon, everyone gathered at the table and she served them their breakfast. She got a lot of praises for that. Ronnie came to the table after his work out and sat down on the chair. He ate the food and Kathy looked at him with expectations of a few compliments. 

"Who served me a sweet dish? I don't eat a lot of sweets at least not during week days!" Ronnie said and Kathy looked at him shocked. 

"You've to eat this, it's a ritual. A sweet dish is served today, so eat it!" Mrs. Patel told him, feeling bad for Kathy. Ronnie ate his food silently and then got up from his seat. Kathy's eyes still looked at him expectantly. But she gave up when he got up from the table. 

"Poha was really good. Thank you!" he said and walked away to his room. Kathy smiled broadly and got ready to go to her parent's house. 

"So you ready?" You cousins have come to take you!" Ronnie's cousin asked and she nodded. Kathy walked out and Ronnie followed her. He was always normal around Kathy's family and his family like seeing this side of Ronnie a lot. 

"Hey jiju (brother-in-law)! How was last night?" Kathy's cousins asked. 

"It was tiring!" Ronnie winked at them as he circled his arm around Kathy's waist, making her jump a little. She glared daggers at him but he laughed at her reaction. 

"Come on, we are taking her away from you for a day. You can snuggle with a pillow tonight, if you want!" her cousin said and dragged Kathy away from Ronnie. They walked out of the house and Ronnie waved them a good bye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading. Keep reading!

-Hemii :) :) :)