Chapter 16

"Are you hungry?"

Looking up from the table I was seated at, my gaze leveled on Brydene who was bustling around the room—or kitchen as Kenneth called it—her light purple dress swaying around her delicate calves as she collected items out of the fridge and cabinets to prepare a meal. She glanced at me every so often with tender pale eyes and a gentle smile, waiting patiently for my response.

"No I'm not, but thank you," I declined modestly, sending her a small reassuring smile when I caught the concerned look embellishing her flawless features.

She only hesitated a moment, before her hands busied themselves again with the food and she left the subject for the time being.

Returning my attention to the table, I found myself studying the smooth wooden surface, scrutinizing each and every detailed knot in the grain while my mind was elsewhere. No matter how hard I tried, my thoughts never ceased to let me have a break from the hunter who kept invading my privacy. Every time I managed to find something to distract me that had nothing to do with that strange man, I somehow found a way to bring it all back to him.

On the way into their house a breeze brushed passed me and I was immediately reminded of the way his breath had tickled across my skin from the day before. How every time I heard a horse trot by outside I felt my chest surge in anticipation of it being Nightmare carrying him grandly on his back. It never was. The way Kenneth sighed from the room connected where I had woken up a few days ago, made my mind relate it to the disappointed sound he made when I was around.

Even when he was far enough away that I couldn't feel his dull aura, he still managed to fill my mind with confused thoughts, peeked curiosity and raging emotions that were starting to drain me.

Not only that, but he always gave me loose ends and never dropped any hints to the infinite questions swirling in my mind, constantly making me guess and assume everything with how he acted. His behaviour so different than how the other hunters interacted to each other and towards me. With his mood changing constantly as well, didn't help the matter at all.

It was honestly quite irritating; especially since I have been here for only a few days.

The sound of plates clinking down on the table pulled me from my thoughts and I peered up to see Brydene making herself comfortable in a chair across from me.

"Ken, come and eat!" Brydene called in a light tone, not waiting for her husband to join as she picked up her fork and stabbed it into the dark small slab sitting on her plate. I was intrigued in her food once I noticed it was different from the toast I had seen Wesley and Tarrin prepare for me. Inhaling a deep breath, my saliva glands watered my mouth instantly at the smell of the meat, although it had a hint of a different tinge from the game I was used to.

Curiosity got the better of me and I couldn't help but ask.

"What are you eating?" I probed, leaning forwards somewhat to get a better whiff of the hunk of meat. There was definitely a more pungent smell to the slab, my nose turning up slightly at the scent.

Brydene chuckled at my expression. "Beef, mashed potatoes and a salad," she replied with a grin, cutting another miniscule slice off the meat and sticking it into her mouth with a shining fork. Adverting my eyes from the meat, I hadn't even noticed the fluffy looking substance and green leaves also taking up space on her plate. I could barely detect the smell of them over the strong, mouth-watering scent of her cooked meat.

"Where does it come from?" I asked interestedly, referring to the meat she continued to bite off the silver fork. Her brows furrowed slightly in confusion, before giving me an apologetic smile as she finished chewing her food.