Chapter One

Theodosia took a long look at the Nextic settlement, perched high in a massive elm tree, and then set off along the riverbank. She held her head high. She was determined to get back to the portal immediately to return to England. It was time to resume her old life without delay.

She walked along in search of the twin guards, Tipelli and Izel, who could tell her how to find the portal. The water sparkled in the weak light and schools of tiny silver fish darted in its shallow depths. A frog jumped into the water with a plop. Leaves from the elm drifted down leisurely. It was a sliver of tranquility in a chaotic world. Yet she could sense the darkness beyond, the chill underneath the sunlight.

So far the half-beings had not encroached on the main settlement. Yet. The threads of mist that hovered nearby told her it would not be long.

All the more reason to return to England immediately. Never mind that Ahuil had said it must be so.

Skirting a bend in the river, she spotted one of the guards ahead. She still couldn't tell them apart. They were both freakishly tall with long wheat-colored hair and the black-brown eyes of their sister, Xochitl. Theodosia hurried forward. It was so nice to wear Nextic clothes. A lightweight white linen shift made moving about so much easier than the usual layers of petticoats she wore at home.

The guard stopped as she approached. His red-rimmed eyes had purple smudges under them. Like the rest of the settlement, he was mourning the loss of their leaders, Yaretzi and Cualli, Ahuil's older brothers. The mist had killed them, the one that was eliminating the Nextic in favor of a new civilization.

Their death had made Ahuil leader by default. It was a heavy and sad burden to bear. The weight of this responsibility, plus his brothers' sudden passing, was probably the reason Ahuil had so callously dismissed her. Even though he had once been her friend, someone she thought she could love. She couldn't think about it. What was done was done.

"It's Tipelli," the guard said, probably noting her confused expression.

Theodosia smiled, though the expression felt heavy on her face. "Yes, thank you. Sorry. I'll learn the difference soon enough."

"Don't trouble yourself. Sometimes even Xochitl mixes us up." He looked quickly over his shoulder towards the forest. "What are you doing over here? You'll be out of bounds soon. It's not safe."

She took a deep breath. "I have to return to the portal and I was hoping you might be able to accompany me. Ahuil asked that I go. I would like to comply with his wishes as soon as possible."

The guard crossed his arms in front of his barrel-like body. "What? I don't understand. Everyone's saying that you're a good omen. That you're going to make our world normal again. You can't go back now."

Theodosia wanted to agree with him. It wasn't because she believed she could save the Nextic. Hardly. She just wanted to be there for Ahuil during such an overwhelming and awful crisis. Apparently he did not agree.

Still, she didn't want to sow dissent. She had to pretend to back Ahuil. Even though he had betrayed her, she still felt loyal to him. After all, he was in an impossibly tough position. Her heart hurt to think what lay ahead for him.

"He feels responsible for me." She shrugged. "He doesn't want me to get hurt." 

And because he doesn't love me. If he did, he would never send me away. The thought bubbled up despite her best intentions. She suppressed it immediately. She would fall to pieces if she kept up that kind of reasoning. She bit her lip and looked Tipelli square in the eyes.

The guard frowned, his bushy brows almost meeting on his broad forehead. "I know Ahuil likes you and wants to protect you. But he's responsible for us first and foremost. If you can help us, you need to stay."

She shook her head. "And I want to stay. I want to help you. But Ahuil doesn't think I can. If that's what he believes, then I believe it too."

Tipelli shook his head. He looked out into the woods, his dark brown eyes narrowing. A cloud of mist edged its way out of the forest. The guard watched its progress closely. The fog floated by them and settled over the river. Harmless. For now.

He turned back to her, watching her face. "I can't help thinking Yaretzi wouldn't have let his feelings control him. Not like this." He shrugged. "Anyway, we can't take you to your portal, especially after what happened with Yaretzi and Cualli. It's too dangerous to go to the edges of our world now. If you really want to get to the portal, you'll have to find your own way."

Theodosia's stomach clenched in panic. Braving the woods alone was the last thing she wanted to do. And yet she couldn't expect Tipelli to risk his life for her.

"I understand," she said quietly. She looked the guard straight in the eye. "Only I beg you not to judge Ahuil harshly. He has few options and he's quickly running out of time. I'm sure you can understand that."

"No one's running out of time," the guard spat out. His face darkened as he leaned down towards her. "You don't know anything about our world or what's happening here. Maybe we're better off without you."

He walked away abruptly towards the giant elm. Theodosia watched him go, mouth open. She fought back the hot taste of anger that rose in her throat. He was entitled to his denial. What was the alternative, to accept the end of his people? Impossible. If she was him, she'd hope against hope until the bitter end too. 

********************

bronwynkienapple.com